Question

Tenant backup info is wrong/non-sensical

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

I have taken a bunch of backups through the system over time for 2021R2. Now I want to upgrade to 2022 R1. My current version number of 2021 R2 is too high to be upgraded with 2022 R1. So I wanted to go back to a backup that was old enough to be supported by the 2022 R1 installer for upgrade.

When I went to my list of backups, I noticed that almost all of them list the latest version of 2021 R2 as the version. However, that version didn’t come out until a few weeks ago, and most of the backups were from way before it came out.

Can anyone explain (you will see there are a few backups in the list with a previous version….but not most of them)? How can backups taken before the latest version came out now have the latest version number?

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

It looks like if you “Prepare for Export” any of the backups, it then updates the version to the current version auto-magically.

I’m not sure if that is what it’s actually doing, or if it’s just a bug. But it really shouldn’t be doing that. Imagine a scenario where a new incremental update has a serious bug that completely trashes the database under some set of conditions. If the new framework version can modify the state of the previous backups, you are opening yourself up for a world of hurt. The right way to do this is to treat previous backups as immutable, and then have an option to upgrade them to the current framework version, which will then create a new file that is on the upgraded version.

It is also kind of annoying that upgrades for the previous version of the software can put you ahead of the upgrade path for the current release, thereby forcing you to wait for a new version of the current software in order to upgrade the previous version. Maybe there could be some designation for updates of the previous version that are guaranteed to be in the upgrade path for any release of the new version of the software.

Userlevel 2

Hi Rosenjon,

When you create new snapshot it will just create another layer in database with negative Column ID value, technically when you run the upgrade to new version Acumatica will upgrade all schema data it will impact to snapshot also. This is explanation I can share, btw my recommendation that you should should not keep  a lots snapshot in system because it will consume space and also can cause fragment in index for database. Better if you export it and store it somewhere else.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

@dang.huynh I know about this now, so I will manage things accordingly. However, I think you are playing with fire here.

If one of thees days I go to restore from my Veeam backups, and Veeam says to me “oh, don’t you know, you shouldn’t have upgraded to our last version. sorry, all your backups are corrupt!”...that’s going to be a bad day for us, but it’s also going to be a bad day for Veeam.

You are calling this a snapshot feature: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapshot

“In computer systems, a snapshot is the state of a system at a particular point in time.”

The problem is this isn’t a snapshot if you are changing the underlying file in response to further system updates, etc.

You should at least warn the users to store the files off the system if they want to maintain state. Not everyone is on here asking these types of questions, and snapshot has a very specific meaning.

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved