Solved

System Email setup for Users will mark their Office365 emails as ready in a couple of seconds.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Good day,

Client has been using System Email Accounts to send / Received emails from Acumatica using Outlook (they dont have Acumatica integration on their outlook app in windows), starting on 4/8/21, the client started noticing that the emails on her inbox will automatically change to read, other users that have Acumatica accounts that also have System Email Accounts setup in Acumatica will have same issue. After several tries with their IT person from there email server, we inactivate the System Email Account for her by changing the password to something incorrect, and the issue stop. I have sit checking this issue and it occurs when the System Email Account is setup correctly. 

I have already change the incoming mail server from smtp.office365.com to outlook.office365.com to smtp.office365.com. But this did not fixed the issue. 

I have also test where the password in incorrect and the test is bad, and emails remain unread on my clients outlook app in windows, but when putting the password correctly, the emails will start randomly set as read. I have seen this with my own eyes. Please advise. 

Has anyone has this issue?

icon

Best answer by martingaxiola 28 September 2021, 00:32

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

My first thought is do they have Outlook rules setup where emails to themselves get marked as read?

We do not have integration and have manually entered the details.

All other tabs are not filled in except the Assignment Settings Default Email Owner.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@martingaxiola We have the same issue, but it is not happening to everyone. I only have 1 individual reporting this as of now… 

We created several system email accounts for individuals with Incoming Mail Processing checked so that they can email (from themselves) out of Acumatica and it will be suffixed with the email tag so it captures replies, etc.

I’m not sure how to resolve either, but I just came across this issue… 

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hey @sean21  and @amajors, I put a ticket and they are working on a solution as Acumatica identified the issue. The workaround they gave me is to change the protocol from IMAP to POP3, which will temporarily fix the issue but it will have performance issues with Acumatica. Also, they provided the following link, where Acumatica will advise you about this.

https://help-2020r2.acumatica.com/(W(2))/Help?ScreenId=ShowWiki&pageid=703c2d6e-5e43-4122-896b-160f2c9d4aaf

I will post the Version where they will update this issue. 

Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hello @martingaxiola ,

This is not the issue, but an existing product design described in the help article mentioned.

If you have selected the IMAP protocol, every email successfully collected from the server will be marked as read on the server.

Please note that product changes and feature requests are out of the scope of Support programs. Such cases are routed to the Acumatica Feedback Portal where you can submit your idea, communicate with the Product team, and track the feature status. Shipped features and enhancements can be viewed in the Release Notes of major versions.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hola @Irina

I have a ticket open due to this, I believe that the phrase “If you have selected the IMAP protocol, every email successfully collected from the server will be marked as read on the server.” is there due to this being a warning that the emails will be marked as read, and should not happen, that is why is on warning signs.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @martingaxiola , did you receive anymore information on this? My client is having the same problem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hello everyone,

This change is currently being considered in the scope of 2022 R1 version. Please note that this is a preliminary target version, it can be changed due to a lot of factors.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @Irina , so is there no temporary workflow until the change is released outside of creating an email account with the POP3 protocol?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@cshaheen26, unfortunately, there is no workaround.

This is the design of email integration that we have documented. Changing this behavior requires full code refactoring - therefore, there is no way to have it fixed before. This is the nature of all design issues.

That is why we encourage our users to submit ideas on how they think the functionality should work - it helps Acumatica to implement product design that fits most of business cases.

Userlevel 5
Badge

I am going to try to have a support person from Acumatica have a quick meeting for the support person to see the issue and he can replicate and be able to explain the problem. Just as FYI, this is something that happen after upgrade to 2020R2, issue keeps happening on IMAP or POP3. I will keep you guys updated on this. 

Userlevel 5
Badge

I had a sucessfull test today with Acumatica Support where my client show the Support team that have verified that the issue is also happening on POP3. The workaround is that we create a single email for system email or a few emails by departments, so they will be System emails and not emails form users. I will keep posting any other changes on the ticket.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Note - as a workaround to keep processing individual users’ system email accounts, we changed the Email Tag Prefix to “[A0”, created a root folder on their email account called “ACM”, set up Outlook rules on each user to route these emails to the “ACM” folder, then pointed their system email accounts to that root folder instead of Inbox. This might not be ideal for a large number of users, however, because it required that our IT staff set up Outlook rules on each employee’s instance.

I can provide further details/screenshots if desired. 

Sean,

Would you mind sharing the additional information on how you were able to implement the workaround?

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hey @Carynb

Here are the steps we took. It’s not perfect, but it got us a bit further. Our goal was:

1. Allow individual users to have a system email account for their “personal” company email while avoiding the marking of read emails in the inbox
  2. Reroute Acumatica activity email traffic
  3. Allow users to reply to emails in Outlook and have those replies captured in the activity record in Acumatica.

First, we created a new root folder in Outlook called “ACM”. Note: this is not a subfolder of the Inbox. Right-click the email address, select New folder. 

Next, we changed the root folder to point to the “ACM” folder in the system email account so Acumatica could process incoming mail for this folder instead of the Inbox.

Then, we changed the email tag prefix under Email Preferences in Acumatica, to “[A0”. We felt that this would be unique enough to identify and isolate the email activities that generate within Acumatica. 

Back in Outlook, we set up a rule to reroute these emails into the “ACM” folder.

We set up another rule to move replies to external emails back into this folder so Acumatica could process.

Note: the changing of the tag and custom outgoing rule was designed because we wanted users to be able to reply in Outlook for Acumatica activities, and have those replies captured back in the activity record in Acumatica. Because of that, we set up these rules directly on each individual’s Outlook instance on their computer (not on the web). You or others may not need this and can simply set up different rules, perhaps on the web. 

Also worth noting is that our users chose to live with the fact that there may be duplicate activity records if more than one individual is copied on an email. 

Hope this helps! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hello everyone,

Starting from 2022 R1, you can set up your system’s email account behavior:

If you selected IMAP option in the Incoming Mail Protocol box, you need to specify the action that the system should perform after an email is received. In the After Receiving drop-down, select one of the following options:

• Mark Email on Server as Read: The system marks the email as read on the email server, regardless its read status.
  • Leave Email on Server Untouched: The system does not change the read status of the email on the email server.
  • Delete Email on Server: The system deletes the email on the email server, regardless its read status.

For more info, refer to the Enhancements to the Processing After Email Receipt section of the System Administration: Enhancements to Email Processing topic in 2022 R1 Release Notes.

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved