Startup error for 22R1 on Windows Server 2019

  • 12 December 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2

The server I’m working with is an Azure Virtual Machine running the Datacenter edition of Windows Server 2019.  I am attempting to upgrade a staging instance from 21R1 to 22R1 and am continuously running into this error during startup:

[InvalidOperationException: ASP.NET Core pipeline has unexpected entry point]
PX.AspNetCore.Owin.<>c__DisplayClass4_0.<Init>g__CreateEntryPoint|0(Func`2 next) +252

This server is currently running a production instance of 21R1 without issue. Hopefully that fact establishes the general Acumatica install prerequisites have been met on the server.

I’ve made sure to install .NET Core 3.1, both the SDK and Runtime (including hosting bundle).  I’ll share command line output showing this a bit later in the post.  Visual Studio 2019 was installed prior to upgrading.  I have since updated to Visual Studio 2022 on this system. The staging instance was working just fine beforehand and I made sure to unpublish all customizations before upgrading. 

I’ve already done this upgrade on a local virtual machine that was running 21R1. The upgrade VM’s database was created from a backup of the production database.  The staging system was using an older export of that same database.  The functioning upgrade VM is running Windows 10, not Server 2019.

This same error shows up on this system even with a freshly created installation of 22R1 using the U100 dataset.

Here is some command line output showing my .NET SDKs and runtime

dotnet --list-sdks

3.1.425 [C:\Program Files\dotnet\sdk]

7.0.100 [C:\Program Files\dotnet\sdk]

dotnet --list-runtimes

Microsoft.AspNetCore.App 3.1.31 [C:\Program Files\dotnet\shared\Microsoft.AspNetCore.App]

Microsoft.AspNetCore.App 6.0.11 [C:\Program Files\dotnet\shared\Microsoft.AspNetCore.App]

Microsoft.AspNetCore.App 7.0.0 [C:\Program Files\dotnet\shared\Microsoft.AspNetCore.App]

Microsoft.NETCore.App 3.1.31 [C:\Program Files\dotnet\shared\Microsoft.NETCore.App]

Microsoft.NETCore.App 6.0.11 [C:\Program Files\dotnet\shared\Microsoft.NETCore.App]

Microsoft.NETCore.App 7.0.0 [C:\Program Files\dotnet\shared\Microsoft.NETCore.App]

Microsoft.WindowsDesktop.App 3.1.31 [C:\Program Files\dotnet\shared\Microsoft.WindowsDesktop.App]

Microsoft.WindowsDesktop.App 6.0.11 [C:\Program Files\dotnet\shared\Microsoft.WindowsDesktop.App]

Microsoft.WindowsDesktop.App 7.0.0 [C:\Program Files\dotnet\shared\Microsoft.WindowsDesktop.App]


I do not know if this will help troubleshoot this problem but I used the Assembly Viewer that comes with Jetbrains Rider to learn more about the code that is throwing this error.  This is from the DLL file named PX.AspNetCore.Owin but is decompiled code so it probably won’t match the actual source.  I’m only including the top of the encapsulated method that is throwing the error:

      Func<IDictionary<string, object>, Task> CreateEntryPoint(
        Func<IDictionary<string, object>, Task> next)
        RequestDelegate requestDelegate = aspNetCoreApplicationBuilder.Build();
        if (requestDelegate != InterleavedPipeline.EntryPointFromOwin && requestDelegate != InterleavedPipeline.Terminal)
          throw new InvalidOperationException("ASP.NET Core pipeline has unexpected entry point");


Does anyone know what would cause a “ASP.NET Core pipeline has unexpected entry point” error and how to fix it?

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Can you run the following in powershell and paste output?

Get-ChildItem 'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP' -Recurse | Get-ItemProperty -Name version -EA 0 | Where { $_.PSChildName -Match '^(?!S)\p{L}'} | Select PSChildName, version


Userlevel 7

Hi @PorchlightZach  were you able to find a solution? Thank you!

Userlevel 2

Can you run the following in powershell and paste output?

Get-ChildItem 'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP' -Recurse | Get-ItemProperty -Name version -EA 0 | Where { $_.PSChildName -Match '^(?!S)\p{L}'} | Select PSChildName, version


The output of that command is as follow:


PSChildName                      Version
-----------                      -------
v2.0.50727                       2.0.50727.4927
v3.0                             3.0.30729.4926
Windows Communication Foundation 3.0.4506.4926
Windows Presentation Foundation  3.0.6920.4902
v3.5                             3.5.30729.4926
Client                           4.8.03761
Full                             4.8.03761

Userlevel 2

Hi @PorchlightZach  were you able to find a solution? Thank you!

I was not able to figure this out, so I had to find another solution.  In the end I moved our instance to a new system to meet a deadline for our upgrade to 22R1.  The old instance is still available for a little while, so I’ll try any suggestions that are recommended within the next week or so.  After that I’ll have to spin that VM down so we’re not paying for it while it does nothing.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

@PorchlightZach You have a lot of .NET frameworks on this server.

Please go to IIS Manager, select the Acumatica website where you are having the problem, then right click...”Manage Application”….”Advanced Settings”.

Please paste a screenshot of that screen.

Then, go to “Application Pools (on the left sidebar above list of websites), and then paste a screenshot of the different application pools on your server.






About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2022  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved