Skip to main content

We have one Tenant that currently contains two different companies (they are separate LLC’s). We have had issues posting transactions to the wrong company within this Tenant so I would like to separate these companies into two Tenants. My thought is to either make an exact copy of the existing Tenant and then deactivate one company in each new tenant. This would leave a lot of “clutter” in each Tenant from the deactivated company’s data. My other thought is to create a new tenant and just import current GL balances and open transactions into it for the smaller company. Does anyone have experience with something like this or any advice on the best way to handle?

Hello,

There are a few configurations which help reduce posting errors that you may try before separating your companies into two tenants.

Have you considered:

1. Using Company or Branch roles that connect Users to the correct company (this works great until one user needs to be in both companies consistently).
  2. Setting a default company in the User Profile screens
  3. Giving Users two separate logins, one for each company,
    • each with a different default company in the User Profile screen and/or
    • Using Restriction Groups to restrict each user login to one company?

Laura

Thank you for the response, but that’s exactly our problem. One person enters data for both companies and I don’t want her to have to use two separate logins. We’ve got several other tenants and it’s very easy to just switch back and forth between them

Hello,

Thanks for providing the extra detail, meaning you’ve ruled out the options that would keep the companies in one tenant.

When creating a new tenant for the smaller company, I recommend cleaning out the clutter.  It’s possible to make a Shapshot with only the Settings, or Settings + Profiles (ie. Customer list, Vendor List, Inventory Item List, etc.) and leave transactions behind.  See Export Mode options:

Once the Snapshot is restored to a new tenant, you can remove the extra Company and related records like company 1’s subaccounts, their vendors, Bank Accounts, etc.

Then migrate the beginning balances for the smaller company 2 in their new tenant and go forward separately.

Good luck!

Laura

Thank you. The last step - Migrate. Can you elaborate on that?  Is it a manual process of exporting and reimporting all banking, GL, project, PO and subcontract transactions?  Is there anything else to migrate?

Hello, 

I think you’ll want to export GL trial balances from the prior tenant, and import them to the new tenant. You will need from the last period of the prior fiscal year forward to today/or to Go Live day. You will want to enter open AP and Open AR balances. You will count Inventory and make a receipt into the new tenant for the Qty and costs in your warehouses. Do you have open orders, open PO’s? These two will be copied. Also projects and subcontracts as you mentioned.

If the volume is small, enter the documents manually. If the volume is large, reports can be printed to Excel and generic inquiries can be built to pull records from the prior tenant. There is no automatic way to copy out your history and open documents, such as a pre-built process or screen, in the old tenant. There are prebuilt import scenarios in the new tenant that come with Acumatica, to help you import.

Much of your history will remain in the prior tenant on your site and the old tenant can be accessed still. Could you copy the minimum data needed to go forward and look up the rest as needed in the prior tenant?

Your partner can perform this work for you - we migrate documents and transactions frequently. If you need to perform your own migration, search this forum and Acumatica Help for ‘migration mode’ to learn how to properly post open document such as AR and AP Aging. 

Migration sounds like a lot of work! Are you sure the accountants can’t log in with separate logins?

Have you already connected different Logos and selected different screen colors for each of your companies, to make Acumatica visually obvious which company is open?

Good luck!

Laura