Skip to main content
Solved

Multi tenant vs Single Tenant with branches

• 26 July 2024
  • 4 replies

Does anyone have a matrix they’d like to share with me that deciphers what you can do with Single Tenant multi branch but cannot accomplish with Multi Tenant?  (and vice versa)

Ex:  2 different tenants under the same URL (multi tenant); Company A enters ap bills; Company B cannot pay those bills that were entered in Company A.

Ex:  2 different branches under the same tenant (single tenant); Branch A enters ap bills; Branch B can pay those bills that were entered in Branch A.  (and I think the same applies with single tenant using companies)

Thanks

4 replies

Badge +18

Hello,

Optimal configuration is always to have companies and branches in one tenant.

Two tenants:

• There are no mixed/related transactions whatsoever between two companies that are in two tenants.
  • Period end GL account balances may be consolidated between two companies in two tenants using GL Consolidation, or combined in Excel using Veli xo (or just using Excel to combine two exported reports).

One Tenant:

• Your second example is correct - many kinds of inter-company/inter-branch transactions can happen when companies and branches are in the same tenant.
  • In one tenant, we have options for separate and combined reports.

The only problem I have encountered which led to separating companies into two tenants was because one company used European measurements and the other US.  The same stock items couldn’t have 2 base units of measure or the same default package weight, etc.for shipping purposes and we had to split into separate tenants for this reason. (I think this experience was in version 2023 R1.)

Laura

Userlevel 3
Badge

@Laura02 thank you so much.  I thought this was the case but wanted to be absolutely certain.  This is very helpful to me.

-Woody

Userlevel 3
Badge

@WoodyGilbert we run separate tenants for different geography legal entities, however, this means maintaining configurations/user access for each tenant - it is not very livable. We only did this because at the time of our implementation acumatica did not support multi-currency tenants.

Unless there’s a catastrophic blocker to running single tenant/multi branch, I would definitely recommend single tenant wherever possible. Single tenant  benefits from shared masterfile data with AP/AR/Stock items, and ability to run group-wide reports/GIs.

I would love to see acumatica offer a ‘conversion/consolidation’ pathway to merge tenants since the introduction of multi-currency in 2021 R2.

Userlevel 3
Badge

@chrisgold - hate it for you and really appreciate your post.  The 2nd paragraph you posted speaks very high volume.

Best,

Woody