Solved

I need help getting started with Acumatica configuration

I have been roped in to helping configure a current cloud install of Acumatica, and frankly, I’m out of my depth. I have a technical background, but have not used or configured any similar software.

I thought that a good approach would be to start with a local installation on my Windows 10 Machine. I use it for video editing, so it’s quite well equipped. That would allow me to play with the company's data set safely in a sandbox. It would also allow me to work my way through Acumatica training guides (A150 looks like a good one to start with).

My first question concerns which version of Acumatica to install. The company is using 2021 R2 (Build 21.210.0030), and the A150 lesson seems to need 2022 R1. Do I need to install both versions (one to run A150 lessons, and one to play with the company’s data set)?

I decided to start with the download of ERP 2021 R2 Update 4 from the Acumatica site, but it seems to be an earlier version (21.204.0055) than the one we’re running in the cloud. I tried installing it, but had no success. The installer said it required IIS 7 or later. I installed IIS 10 Express (and SQL Server 2019 Express for good luck), but the installer still asked for IIS 7 or later.

I’m hoping that there’s a detailed installation instruction somewhere that assumes no pre-knowledge. Any hints, tips, or pointers would be gratefully received. Also, please feel free to suggest a better approach to learning this stuff if I’m way off base.

Thanks in advance

Pete Fraser

icon

Best answer by Dana Moffat 30 May 2022, 14:18

View original

6 replies

Some progress. I enabled the IIS in the control panel, and that allowed Acumatica to install. The Acumatica Configuration wizard can’t connect to the Database Server (Microsoft SQL Server, (local), Windows Authentication), so I guess I need to do some configuration of SQL server.

Well, a little more progress. I configured the SQL Server Browser as “automatic”, and the Acumatica configurator now connects to “SQLEXPRESS”. It now wants to connect to a website. I poked around on the web, and came across this.

https://www.acumatica.com/blog/technical-tuesday-connecting-website-acumatica/

Surely it isn’t this complicated to install Acumatica so that I con work through some of the lessons. What am I doing wrong? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @PeteFraser ,

The S100 System Installation and Maintenance is a great course to start with.  It will teach you about configurations and system requirements as well as hands-on practice to prepare and then install the Acumatica ERP and how to deploy an application instance.  The exercises help you to install multiple application instances on your computer (which will function as a server) and then you’ll be able to login to these application instances and then begin the A150 Getting Started with Acumatica.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Well, a little more progress. I configured the SQL Server Browser as “automatic”, and the Acumatica configurator now connects to “SQLEXPRESS”. It now wants to connect to a website. I poked around on the web, and came across this.

https://www.acumatica.com/blog/technical-tuesday-connecting-website-acumatica/

Surely it isn’t this complicated to install Acumatica so that I con work through some of the lessons. What am I doing wrong? 

Hello PeteFraser, I configured the SQL Server Browser to “Automatic”, but while I try to configure Database as a SQL Server Authentication it asks for login and password of the user and when trying to click “Next” it shows up “Login Failed for user”. Can you please guide on this?
Thanks.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

@Harshita This is almost always the result of incorrect permissions for the user trying to login to SQL Server. See here for a review of SQL Server permissions:

SQL Server User Permissions - SQL Server Guides

In some cases, it can also be firewall rules. It took me a while when setting up SQL Server on Amazon RDS to get the firewall rules correct so that RDS could connect to the Acumatica VPS instance, for example.

Hi @PeteFraser ,

The S100 System Installation and Maintenance is a great course to start with.

Thanks. I got delayed by a Covid quarantine in Greece, then when I got home I broke my arm in a bike crash. I’m only now working my way through S100, but am finding it very helpful.

Thanks once again.

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved