Solved

Finding a better understanding of how Acumatica processes emails

• 12 January 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

While working through System Email Accounts, the processing of the associated emails, toying with the idea of implementing Incoming Mail Processing, I’ve come to find that, no matter the enabled or disabled features, Acumatica is keeping a copy of each account’s emails, as seen in the defined Root folder, in their entirety.

Is it normal normal for the system to keep a copy of every email of each System Email Account even when it does not get linked to a Contact? Note that Incoming Mail Processing is off for all accounts. Assuming I haven’t done anything wrong, this presents a few concerns… record counts, db space usage, and security, to name a few.

Anyone have any insights and or suggestions?

Thanks a bundle for your support ;-)

icon

Best answer by Missy Main 20 January 2023, 16:39

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

You might want to make an entry on the Product Ideas boards regarding ability to clear out certain emails from the email history with some filtering capability.

Userlevel 2
Badge

@DavidEichner Thanks for your feedback…

I was actually thinking along those lines, as in Product Idea, but wanted to be certain that my observations were correct. I’ll work with our provider to come up with a solution for now and will consider adding the Product Idea.

A side note to this : once the emails have been deleted, would the Acumatica simply repopulate all of the emails each time it connects. I’ll have to test this. Think there might be more to this “Product Idea”...

Thanks again ;-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

There is a field on the incoming processing tab that indicates whether or not to delete the emails in the email account after processing.  That way, the same emails dont keep coming back in again.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I saw that but interpreted it as though it was going to delete the email from the user’s defined root folder within MS365. Based on your comment, I’m guessing it’s talking about the copy of the email in the Acumatica db and not the MS365 original?

note that I have not yet turned on any of the inbound email processing, yet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

It does delete from the email folder in MS365 if that field is marked.  Useful for incoming mail processing where you don’t want it bringing it back into Acumatica again (vendor invoices emails submitted into AP Document Recognition).  I guess it wouldn’t be useful in your scenario.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I could see that being very valuable when utilizing a generic catch all like account ( info@xyz.abc ) but not for user’s who are also setup. Frankly, I’m wondering if our approach to this, meaning how we’re using System Email Accounts, is even in line with how it’s intended to be used… I’ll reconnect with our provider to clarify further.

btw, thanks so much for your assists with this ;-)

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

While working through System Email Accounts, the processing of the associated emails, toying with the idea of implementing Incoming Mail Processing, I’ve come to find that, no matter the enabled or disabled features, Acumatica is keeping a copy of each account’s emails, as seen in the defined Root folder, in their entirety.

Is it normal normal for the system to keep a copy of every email of each System Email Account even when it does not get linked to a Contact? Note that Incoming Mail Processing is off for all accounts. Assuming I haven’t done anything wrong, this presents a few concerns… record counts, db space usage, and security, to name a few.

Anyone have any insights and or suggestions?

Thanks a bundle for your support ;-)

Hello there!

I do have an answer for the following
“Is it normal normal for the system to keep a copy of every email of each System Email Account even when it does not get linked to a Contact? Note that Incoming Mail Processing is off for all accounts.”

I can confirm that if the Incoming Mail Server is filled out on the Servers tab of the system Email Account, then any email that is within the Root Folder (normally ‘inbox’) will be downloaded into Acumatica. 

My suggestion when first adding a new System Email account is to either Archive or clean out the inbox of that System email account (in Outlook) if not wanting those emails to be downloaded when the email account is first hooked up to Acumatica site. 

Incoming Mail Processing tab is a set of rules that can help move incoming emails (or link incoming emails) to specific entities in Acumatica, like creating a new case for each new email that comes in, or sending automated response to each new email that comes in, but those rules definitely will not prevent incoming emails from being pulled into Acumatica. 

One last thing to note, and I know it doesn’t delete them forever from the DB (we can always help with that in support if needed), but if wanting to keep the All Emails screen cleaned up, one does have ability to delete those emails.
The first delete will mark them as deleted.

But if delete them a second time on All Emails (while the status is already deleted), it will remove those emails from the All Emails screen (but they will remain in the SMEmail table in the DB). 

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved