Stock Item Changes

• 5 March 2024
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

I am new to Acumatica and I am looking to make a bunch of changes to stock items like base unit, valuation methods, Item class, etc. We are building out Acumatica iteratively.  This means we need to set things up a certain way.  As we build out the system, changes need to be made.

I am building out my strategy to draw down inventory, remove them from PO transactions, SO transactions, Quotations, etc.  I am not even sure if I have identified all the places that are impacted by these changes.  

It would be great to have a process that helped with this activity.

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

I am new to Acumatica and I am looking to make a bunch of changes to stock items like base unit, valuation methods, Item class, etc. We are building out Acumatica iteratively.  This means we need to set things up a certain way.  As we build out the system, changes need to be made.

I am building out my strategy to draw down inventory, remove them from PO transactions, SO transactions, Quotations, etc.  I am not even sure if I have identified all the places that are impacted by these changes.  

Hello @u043,

You are correct the inventory needs to be zero before you make changes to valuation method and item class.  

We had a similar issue but could not wait for inventory to zero organically. I issued the inventory out by importing a spread sheet with the SKUs that needed to be changed. 

We ran an import scenario to update the valuation. 

We then exported the line items form the issue and received back the same inventory. 

Also if there are any pending transfers they will need to be closed before you make the changes. 

Userlevel 5
Badge

How many SKU’s do you need to update?

Userlevel 1

Hello @u043,

You are correct the inventory needs to be zero before you make changes to valuation method and item class.  

We had a similar issue but could not wait for inventory to zero organically. I issued the inventory out by importing a spread sheet with the SKUs that needed to be changed. 

We ran an import scenario to update the valuation. 

We then exported the line items form the issue and received back the same inventory. 

Also if there are any pending transfers they will need to be closed before you make the changes. 

We did something similar.  I created a GI with all applicable fields needed to do an adjustment (including “QTY In” and “QTY Out”).  Next, I downloaded the spreadsheet and used the same spreadsheet in the “Adjustment” screen.  This made it easy cause the adjustment in and out was the same spreadsheet (mapping the QTY accordingly).  

The issue is that now I need to address all other transactions (PO, SO, Quotations).  This is a lot to coordinate.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Yes focusing on a single SKU and then designing a process will be key. 

Userlevel 1

How many SKU’s do you need to update?

Sometimes thousands.  One example of how we got here… We started by implementing purchase orders.  We created an item class called Component for all our raw materials.  We put this component class on all our purchased material.  As we start to build out, we wanted to break our raw materials into different item classes (what seems obvious now).  I build out the inventory adjustment as stated in this thread.  However, now I need to clear transactions on the PO to make these changes still.

Userlevel 5
Badge

What error message are you getting for the PO?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Interesting scenario. 

Maybe you could have used matrix items where you would have an effective date in your matrix (instead of eg. color) . Of course now it is too late. I wonder whether that would have worked if you had started off with matrix items. 

Both your solutions are pretty good. 

Toon Six

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved