Solved

Stock Items Inventory I.D.

• 27 February 2023
  • 5 replies

We’re at the beginning stages of implementation as a manufacturing company. It’s being suggested that we set the Inventory I.D. for stock items, when applicable, to the original manufacturer part number instead of using our own internal part number (as the primary index). We will be creating our own part numbers for all inventory items regardless of if there’s a MPN. It has been our expectation from the outset that we’d set our internal number for the Inventory I.D. This seems to make the most sense to us, however we’re being told “the norm” is to use MPN’s.

Is this the way others have set their system up? Can anyone help explain the rationale for why this is the norm and should be done?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by amajors 27 February 2023, 21:51

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Using the MPN would allow easier importing of updated pricing if you get a file from a vendor to load into the system. If that doesn’t matter to you or you can work around that, then using your part number would be easy enough. You can always add an alternate ID for vendors and customers as well as adding a “Global” ID and a “Barcode ID” per item.

However, out of the box, the alternate ID’s are not searchable.

We are a manufacturer with a mix of make/resell parts.  We created our own part numbers across the board (at first we did smart parts with segmented identifiers; then we switched everything over to a 9-digit number that doesn’t allow users to identify what the part is based on the string). 

A quick GI was created that ties the Inventory ID and Vendor ID together so we can do updates if needed.  I’m curious as to what other manufactures respond with as to how they set things up.  

Using your own internal numbers should not impact the BOM/MFG process.  If you have good cross references with your vendor part numbers and even customer part number - then it will translate fine for any import (pricing), forms, and GI.  Majority of our manufacturers use their own internal part numbers.  If you are using an MFN as your stock item, then you also have to be concerned (and it is low) that more than one vendor uses the same or like part numbers. 

Again, GIs help with any cross-reference need and Acumatica handles cross-reference of vendors and customers well,

Userlevel 5
Badge

You can use your own internal part numbers and reference MPN as global part numbers under stock items screen cross reference tab. 

I appreciate the responses. It’s helpful to get other peoples insight and it certainly doesn’t appear using MPN’s as the inventory I.D. is the “norm”, as was suggested to us.  Thanks!

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved