Question

PART NUMBER RELATIONSHIPS

• 9 November 2023
  • 11 replies

Hello, I was wondering if anybody knew of a way to link part numbers together.  We have a RAW part number XXXXX-R which can either get polished or powder coated.  Once they are polished or powder coated, we receive them back in under the same part number minus the R XXXXX less (-R).  This will mean that we have 250 finished parts in stock but the RAW part was taken  out of inventory.  It may take 6 months to get down to 100 parts where we need to order more but the system is already telling us to order the RAW part as soon as it is polished or powder coated because the RAW part was taken down to a quantity of 0 in the system.  Is there a way to link the finished part to the RAW part so that when the finished part is down to 100 it tells us to order the RAW part for 250?

11 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

This would be really helpful for us as well. We use a similar method for parts which we either store in “bulk” or “packaged” and this issue means that we don’t have a way to use the replenishment options in Acumatica since we buy/product the bulk parts, but only care about inventory levels for the packaged versions.

It would be great if there was a way to specify that if part x requires replenishment then part y is what gets ordered/replenished.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@BALAMEDA - why don’t you set up a Bill of Material (Subassembly) for the Powder coated part that includes the RAW part? that way when there is demand for the powder coated part - it will also create demand for the raw part? 

@Debbie Baldwin , we have thought about this but in order to keep costing correct it doesn’t quite work.  The powder coating is an outside company and in order to get them paid it will populate the last cost field for the part.  If we added it to the BOM there would be more costing that isn’t in the BOM.

It would put inventory into the system that really isn’t there and also add a cost to the system that isn’t there.  If we did it at $0 cost, I believe that might cause an issue with bottom line costs or finding costs in the future.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@BALAMEDA you would add another item on the BOM for Outside Processing cost and make it Actual costed. 

FG or Subassembly = Powder coated part

BOM = Raw part + OSP part

I have a couple of videos on how Outside Processing works  - if you would like to email me I can send them to you? 

Or… your partner should be able to help you with this question?

@Debbie Baldwin .  Debbie, I would appreciate the videos.  Maybe I am overthinking this but in order to get the vendor paid for the part all at once we would have to receive the finished part in. 

Are you saying not to bring the finished cost into the “finished” part number and let it be handled in the BOM. So I would add PN XXXXX-R for $275 and part XXXXX for $25 instead of bringing the costing into the finished part at $300?

I hope that made sense.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@BALAMEDA - not really :) let me send you the video.

Debbie.baldwin@acumatica.com - send me an email. 

@Debbie Baldwin I sent you an email yesterday with my email address.  Hopefully you received it.

Userlevel 3
Badge

@Debbie Baldwin

Hi Debbie, would you mind if I reached out to you regarding a similar scenario for our company?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@BALAMEDA - hopefully you received my email today. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@caseyh35 - feel free to send me an email. 

Userlevel 7
Badge

Hi @BALAMEDA were you able to find a solution? Thank you!

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved