Solved

changing the description of a bom material item

• 8 October 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

When you add material to a BOM it will default the material line description to the then-current description from the stock item.

(we leave it in our process)

If that stock item’s description is subsequently updated it does NOT change the description on the BOM.

While I understand why this is (the BOM description is technically a unique description of that stock item on that BOM, not a reference back to the stock item’s description)

Is there a simple way to “refresh the BOM descriptions from the current stock item descriptions”?

Thanks!

-Matt

icon

Best answer by matthewbeebe 1 November 2022, 23:14

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

HI @matthewbeebe 

Unfortunately the system will not allow this. It is comparable to when you change something on a customer class, it does not update all customers. It is a system limitation. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks @kbeatty21 -- that’s what I was assuming.

You think there would be a way to update this through an import scenario against the Desc in the AMBomMatl lines to set them equal to the Desc in the corresponding Inventory item?

I know it would be straightforward to update the lines from the SQL side of things, but obviously that would be in the “unsupported” category. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@matthewbeebe

Have you tried using the the Mass Change (AM509000) to replace the material with itself? This should update the material description to the most current material description. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@matthewbeebe

Have you tried using the the Mass Change (AM509000) to replace the material with itself? This should update the material description to the most current material description. 

That could work. Great suggestion!

Userlevel 3
Badge

following up, the Mass Change (AM509000) screen will allow you to “refresh” the descriptions (and other defaults) for material lines on BOMs.

However, it does NOT do this for the BOM itself.

That’s not really that hard to manage through a GI-driven import scenario though.  

First, setup your GI to give you the rows you want to update.  You can tweak the GI filters if you want, but in most cases you’ll probably want to leave it wide-open and use the Source Restrictions in the Import Scenario to further refine.

Once you know the GI (which in my case is the default AM2080PL GI), you create a data provider for it as follows:

Then hit the schema tab and make results active, then fill your schema fields:

Then create your import scenario, feeding it the data from the data provider you just setup, and adjusting your mapping lines as appropriate -- for just the description line it’s super simple:

If you want to setup source restrictions, you’d also do it here.  For one-off’s like this, I tend to just bring in all the records into the Import by Scenario via Prepare, then toggle activation off for all of them, then use filtering on the columns to toggle the ones you want back on.  Hit import and you’re done.

Good luck!

-Matt

Userlevel 3
Badge

One more follow-up:  has anyone had luck automating the Mass Change (AM509000) screen via import scenario?

The screen does allow automation, but I’m not sure how to acknowledge the “processing” screen that comes up after it updates all the BOMS for a given stock item.  Action “close” isn’t a thing, and all the other actions don’t seem to accomplish anything.. so as it stands now my import scenario only does the first record.

Any thoughts??

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved