Question

Customer underpaid

• 25 April 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello there we have a customer who intended to pay for invoices A+B+C+D+E+F...a total of ‘say’ USD50,000. However they made a mistake and paid for eg 45000.00. I want to see the invoices above as paid and a separate entry for the 5K not paid ...not allocated just sitting on the statement until they put it right. I have tried a few options but am not able to get this situation echoed on Acumatica. Obviously I want the bank entry correct so that I can do a reconciliation but I don’t want to part pay a particular invoice as this was not the actual scenario. I thought maybe I should raise a credit note !!!! and then re-invoice to take care of this but it seems very clumsy to do this.

Best Regards

Malinda

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Malinda278 i would record the payment as it was provided to you and let the open balance sit until the remaining balance is paid.  it sounds like they did in fact underpay in this scenario if the total of the invoices was 50K and they only paid 45K.  if it was an overpayment, you could let that sit on the customers account as a credit but it doesn’t seem like that would apply in this case.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hello Iqra is there anyway of just leaving the unpaid bit unallocated do you think or do you have to leave all of it  on the system as it was paid an completely unapplied?

Thanks Malinda

Userlevel 7
Badge

Hi @Malinda278 were you able to find a solution? Thank you!

Badge +18

Hello, 

There is an option on the customer profile for Statement Type, or Statement Format with the choices.
1. Open Item: Lists all details of open and partially paid and partially applied invoices, memos, and payments) 

1. Balance Forward: this statement format rolls open, unpaid balance from prior period documents forward in one lump sum. You will see only unpaid amount from prior period and won’t be able to see the details of unpaid items on the statement report. 

I think the Balance Forward statement format is what you are looking for.

When entering the short payment, you may leave it unapplied on the customer’s account. AR Aging reports will show open invoice details and unapplied payment.

When entering the short payment, you may apply/pay in full and leave the balance on one invoice. Or you may distribute unpaid balance proportionally across all invoices. Either way the bank reconciliation will correctly show the payment and bank account can be correctly reconciled. 

I don’t recommend crediting the original invoice balances and  introducing a new debit memo for the unpaid balance because doing so makes the customer history more difficult to understand. Your customer will see strange new document on the statement and may question it.

I hope this helps you.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi, People left the solution already, just interested what is the purpose you don’t want to use partial payment against one invoice? Can I ask?

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved