Question

AP Bill Amortization

• 25 January 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hello, we have a prepaid insurance expense that I wanted to setup a amortization schedule to expense monthly over the life of the policy. Is this possible with the out of the box solution? 

thanks

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @byates 

You can use out of the box functionality ‘Deferred expense’ feature to handle this scenario. 

Here is how it works.

• Lets take Insurance as example, paid for full year on 1st Jan
  • Expense need to be spread across 12 periods (equal installment in this case)
  • Create a Deferral schedule for Insurance expense 
  • Note I have setup an asset account ‘Prepaid insurance’ on the schedule
  • Create an AP bill for Insurance expense. Select deferral schedule code on detail line
  • On release of AP bill, it debits Prepaid Insurance asset account instead of Expense account linked to the non stock item I have selected for Insurance on AP bill 

Note the amount is debited to ‘Prepaid insurance’ account linked to the deferral schedule and not above Insurance expense account

Click on ‘view deferrals’, it opens the schedule and reflects the date and amount that would be moved to ‘insurance expense’ account.

Run recognition for each period

Here is the document linked GL batch generated to recognize the expense for first period

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Userlevel 4
Badge

Thanks for the input @vkumar. I am being told by our implantation partners that the Deferred Revenue Module is a add on and not part of the out of box solution. I thought that was crazy talk as there isn't a business that would not need this basic functionality of amortizing a deferred expense.  However, after reviewing you post, I do not have anything in my system that comes up for deferrals. So, as always, they appear correct. I am still shocked by this however.

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved