Can expiration date be captured without enforcing lot tracking

• 24 September 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Hello,

Correct me if I am wrong. Currently, if user would like to enter expiration date, the lot tracking must be set. 

Is there a way that allow user can only input the expiration date without enforcing the lot tracking?

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

Lots do carry expiration as different lots can have different expiration date.  Can you provide a bit more detail of the business scenario? 

If you are trying to say the entire product Stock Item sku will expire and no longer available after a certain date, you will need to probably use user defined fields on the item screen.

If your need is on quote detail line level saying specific line on an quote is only valid till a certain date, you will have to customize and add your own column to the quote detail lines.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Lots do carry expiration as different lots can have different expiration date.  Can you provide a bit more detail of the business scenario? 

If you are trying to say the entire product Stock Item sku will expire and no longer available after a certain date, you will need to probably use user defined fields on the item screen.

If your need is on quote detail line level saying specific line on an quote is only valid till a certain date, you will have to customize and add your own column to the quote detail lines.

Thank Ali, yes, lots do carry expiration date. But enforcing lots would also strictly enforce validation on the qty used by lots. We don’t need that.

The case is quite simple, every item on receipt might have its own expiration date, right. We just want to note that down. No matter use lots tracking or not. It can be just a information on item received, right?

Back to my question, are you confirming to me that expiration date originally must be used with lot tracking, right? If I want to maintain the data only, I shall use user defined fields?

Userlevel 4
Badge

To use existing expiration capability you would have to do it on per lot level.  Since you don't need that, then I guess all you need is a user defined date filed on the line item level of purchase receipts.  This does require a small code customization as no-code user defined fields are currently only on document level and not line level.  Will you use this expiration in the system in any way after you have recorded it?

There are lessons in our open university customization training material on how to add such fields to lines, but they are intended for developers.  https://openuni.acumatica.com/courses/development/t190-development-quick-start-in-customization/  

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

To use existing expiration capability you would have to do it on per lot level.  Since you don't need that, then I guess all you need is a user defined date filed on the line item level of purchase receipts.  This does require a small code customization as no-code user defined fields are currently only on document level and not line level.  Will you use this expiration in the system in any way after you have recorded it?

There are lessons in our open university customization training material on how to add such fields to lines, but they are intended for developers.  https://openuni.acumatica.com/courses/development/t190-development-quick-start-in-customization/  

@Ali Jani 
   Thank you so much for taking these efforts to guide me, especially when you are in a high management role which means you have a lot of things to deal with everyday.
    I know how to add a customized field at line level.

However, can I ask if it is possible or allowed that I simpily make the “expiration date” field enable? is there a way to do it?

Becausing the customized filed would have the same business meaning with the original “expiration date” field, so I don’t want to add duplicated field unless it is a must.

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved