Solved

Is it possible to add multiple project contacts to a report and separate by their role?

• 25 August 2023
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

I'm working on creating a report that contains all of the contact information for the other trades we typically coordinate with onsite. Information would be found in the Construction module under Projects and the Contacts tab. 

I'm having trouble getting the coding to pull the correct information. Right now, it's pulling in a random contact that isn't associated with the project I am using for testing. I'm sure there is a table or relation that I am missing, but every time I make a change it gives me a new error. 

The other thing is each project could have several contacts associated with it that I would need to break out per role on the report. I would think that I could add some type of if/then statement for each role to pull to a different designated location on the report, but want to make sure this is even feasible before I invest too much time into trial and error.

Element Properties for Contacts:

Current Relationships: 

Current String: =[ProjectContact.ContactId_Contact_displayName] 

icon

Best answer by mnecaise 6 October 2023, 15:21

View original

9 replies

Badge +18

Hello,

How are you differentiating the different Project Contacts by Role?  Are you using the Contact’s Title field? Using Job Title to identify placement of names on Project reports may be challenging because Job Title on Acumatica’s Contacts screen is a free-form field.  One contact title could be ‘Project Manager’ and another  ‘Project Mgr’ and the difference could cause fields on the report to be blank.

Have you considered using Project Attributes to hold various job contact names?  Attributes automatically become available in Acumatica Report Writer and can be easily placed on reports.

Laura

Userlevel 4
Badge

@Laura02 

Thanks for responding. Since the project contact role is a text field, our plan was to have our staff follow a standardized role list so that we wouldn’t run into the issues of the roles being entered differently in each project and then in turn not pulling to the report. Based on our knowledge of the system so far, the project contacts tab is the only place, in the project, that will allow multiple business accounts and contacts to be entered with a hyperlink back to the business account record. 

I do currently have the needed fields set up as attributes, as a workaround, until we can find out for sure if we can pull from the contacts tab. Unfortunately having to type each contact manually in an attribute isn’t very user friendly or efficient. It also makes double work, since we would need to enter the information under the contacts tab (for the link back to the BA), and in the attribute. We did try setting up the attributes as selectors, but weren’t able to have the selected record hyperlink back to the BA. If there is a way to create a hyperlink from a selector, we might be able to make the attribute route work long term. 

Userlevel 7
Badge

Hi @mnecaise were you able to find a solution? Thank you!

Userlevel 4
Badge

For anyone who was wondering, this can be done by adding a subreport to the main report. We ended up having this done as a customization, but now that I’ve been able to see how it was done, I can go in and make changes as needed. It also gave me a better look at knowing how to create new subreports where similar information is needed. 

The only table needed in the subreport is ProjectContact, then the following filters were added: 

Userlevel 7
Badge

Thank you for sharing your solution with the community @mnecaise!

Userlevel 4
Badge

you need the project management application to be able to add contacts to a project. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

@jsheehan56 Can you please explain what you mean by “you need the project management application to be able to add contacts to a project”? Where in project management do we enter them? If we enter the contacts in project management are they viewable under the project? We have the project management application, but are currently only using it for submittals due to the inconsistency between the screens and the lack of “talking” between the modules.  We’ve found our workaround for now, but if there is an easier way, by using project management, I’d definitely like to know. Thanks!  

Userlevel 4
Badge

@mnecaise Absolutely. When you have the project management application, an additional tab opens up on a project form PM301000 labeled “Contacts”. 

This tab does not exist if the Project Management SKU is not enabled on an Acumatica site. This is a separate SKU than the Project Costing and Construction Applications. 

While the data tables exist in ALL versions of Acumatica (Acumatica releases all DAC tables to every installation of Acumatica) you will only be able to enter data into this table with the Project Management application licenses enabled. 

Since you guys have the Project Management application, you are good to go, but I echo your concerns in that application about inconsistency between the screens and frankly a complete lack of correspondence workflow, I just would mention that if you remove that SKU going forward you will lose visibility to the contacts tab on the Project screen. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

@jsheehan56 Thanks, I didn’t know that tab came from project management. That’s the tab we are using to enter all the contacts. The issue we were running into was getting the contacts to pull to a report based on role, but we were able to make it work by using a subreport in the main report. 

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved