Solved

Custom Role - Copying Multiple Existing Roles

• 30 August 2023
  • 1 reply

I’m looking for suggestions on best practice and methods for the following.

Short Question(s): Is there a way to copy one or more security role settings to another role? Is there a way to compare two roles access settings?

Additional context: We have a smaller team that operates the business side of things in our company. Like other small teams, a number of our team members have multiple responsibilities on a day to day basis and therefore their access/security requirement within the system don’t fit within the standard roles provided by Acumatica. I have been shown how I can copy an existing role as the basis of a custom role that I can then modify to meet the role specific requirements. However, I might have a custom role that could require 100% of the base AP Clerk role and 75% of the FA Clerk role. 

If we have a way to copy the settings of multiple roles to the new custom role, that would be great.

Currently, (based on this example) I would copy the AP Clerk role to a new custom role and then have to compare the FA Clerk role access against my new custom role and update/modify it to match the 75% that we need. Or just build onto the custom role from scratch (beyond the AP Clerk settings).

With regard to the comparison of roles, I know we can push to Excel a listing of the settings. But it is only providing the information associated with the selected area/module and not the nested levels. Which I know, all in would be a huge mess, but again, looking for suggestions.

icon

Best answer by darylbowman 30 August 2023, 18:02

View original

1 reply

Badge +11

I don’t think Acumatica recommends this, but in my experience, it is much easier to build a base role that most everyone should have, and then build additional roles that are largely unconfigured except for the additional allowances that role should have. In one situation, I have probably twenty special roles that allow one very specific additional thing. This can easily be added to any user who requires that functionality.

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved