Skip to main content

When we refund Sales tax or a Freight only (no products) in Shopify it creates an RC Sales order and put those refunds in the appropriate places, freight or sales tax.  However with no line items the Sales Order cannot create an Invoice.  

If a CM Order type is used, it does activate the Create Invoice button, but then gives the error that no AR Transactions were found in the system.  However this isn’t exactly true because it will should create ARTran lines for Freight and Sales Tax Payables.

Current work around is to add a line with a quantity of 1 and 0 Price.  I can create a business event to do this as well, but it’d be nice if it can be handled by the ECommerce connector instead. 

What other work arounds or fixes do you have?

@bryanb39 , when you import those refunds into Acumatica, doesn’t Acumatica use REFUNDAMT non-stock item and put it on the order line? That’s how it works in many instances I have managed. Curious what exactly you guys do in Shopify and when (order shipped or not yet shipped), and what you see in Acumatica. Thanks!

@Yuri Karpenko it uses that when an item is refunded but not returned.  When the item is actually returned it’ll use the SKU.  Both of those scenarios work well. 

The problem is when there is no item at all returned and the refund is just tax or freight.  Those will be coded to freight and sales tax payable account.  Especially with Sales Tax payable you wouldn’t want that coded via a refund item, it’d cause Sales Tax Payable to be out of balance. 

@bryanb39 , thank you! I’m still not clear as to how you do it in Shopify, and how do you have it mapped in Acumatica. As far as I know, you can’t adjust freight or taxes through the connector. Here’s what I see in Shopify when refunding an order:

Here, I can only select an item for a refund, or use a custom amount (right hand side). If I use this custom amount, the RC order in Acumatica should be created with a predetermined item that you set up on the Shopify Stores screen > Order Settings tab > Refund Amount Item.

Is your system working differently?

@Yuri Karpenko you are correct, no it’s not actually refunding Shipping in Shopify, but that is the typical reason for the refund, or it’s just a small mount for customer satisfaction which is less than freight so no item is being refunded, just an amount.  The connector seems to assume any amount less than or equal to Freight is Freight.  The sales tax I’m seeing is most likely just tax on freight when freight is taxed.  

Tax only refunds are very rare, so I’d have to hunt for one of those.  

@bryanb39 , thanks for sticking with me in this conversation. I guess what I’m trying to understand is this statement from your last message: The connector seems to assume any amount less than or equal to Freight is Freight.

How do you come to this conclusion?

In my experience, I’ve never seen Acumatica connector to create a CM or RC with no sales order line...

@Yuri Karpenko I just received confirmation from Acumatica that this is the intended behavior for the reason I was suspecting, typically you’d want Sales Tax and Freight to not hit a refund account.  They are aware of this situation where orders need to be modified to be allowed to be invoiced.  

My business event work around can probably take care of it until they have a solution.