Question

What knowledge need to use "report designer"?

• 22 March 2024
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi,

What kind of knowledge I need to use “report designer”? I am an accountant of the company. The person originally in charge of the system left and I am ask to look after the program. I am familiar with the finance module but not others. Not sure if it requires a lot of computer skill and knowledge? Or my accounting background can handle it?

Thank you.

Regards,

Raymond

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi Raymond!

I am a company accountant also, and I do most of the customizing of GIs and Reports in Acumatica at our company. I think our logical brains are predisposed to the logic of coding and databases.

My experience prior to this was self taught basic coding skills (HTML, PHP, and a little Python), and some basic database knowledge. At the time we started using Acumatica I happened to be taking a Database class as a required class while obtaining my degree, and that helped a lot. If you’re not already familiar with how databases work, for example joining tables of data together to obtain the information you need, I highly recommend finding some tutorials.

There are lots of report designer tutorials on the web, and help pages within Acumatica, plus this great community which can all help you to get started and then build on your skills as you go. Google is my friend, often, when I’m trying to figure out how to make something work correctly, there are a lot of answers out there either Acumatica specific, or relatively adjacent that they can lead you in the right direction.

Good luck! Let us know what we can do to help as you try to figure things out.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi Helen,

The people here are 1000% lovely and helpful.

So I need to have basic coding skill and database knowledge before I start look into “report designer’?

Thank you.

Regards,

Raymond

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

So I need to have basic coding skill and database knowledge before I start look into “report designer’?

@Rmak0501 not necessarily. If you only changing a thing or two on existing reports, its not much complicated. Even formulas/expressions are not bad, pretty similar to GIs.

I would suggest taking S150 course to familiarize yourself with Report Designer:

S150 Report Designer 2023 R2 (acumatica.com) 

Userlevel 3
Badge

I think the Database knowledge is the most important part. The coding you’ll pick up from looking at examples, or looking at how other things are coded in report designer and copying them.

There’s an expression editor in report designer which helps to build the code, so not having prior knowledge of how to write the code is fine. Poking around in this and googling the various options will quickly teach you how to achieve things without prior knowledge.

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved