Skip to main content
Solved

Report Designer Error Message 'Element' is an invalid XmlNodeType.

• 11 August 2023
  • 2 replies

I was making some changes to the Project Issue report and now it is completely inaccessible. Usually if there is an issue I can go back to a previous version, but the system isn’t even allowing access to the screen where I can select an inactive version. 

When I click on Project Issue Form under Project Management/Reports, I get the “We’re sorry an error has occurred...” message. When I click on show trace it tells me the error is 'Element' is an invalid XmlNodeType.

I also tried opening the report directly from report designer and receive an error message there stating “The designer loader did not provide a root component but has not indicated why.”

How do I fix this? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you! 

2 replies

I’ve only been using Report Designer for about eight months, but have some thoughts.  Hopefully you are working in your development/offline tenant with the report.  Ideally, I always download a COPY of the report I want to work with and rename it to something different while I’m working.  With that being said, I would first attempt to open the local COPY of the original I had saved in Report Designer.  Then I would save that back to the server again as a NEW VERSION.  Then in my environment where it was failing, try to view the reports available again.  Assuming you can see the new version you saved of the ORIGINAL COPY, delete the previous troublesome version from the tenant and try again.  I cannot address the error message you received.  I have not experienced that error yet.  Once you get another “good” version of the report into the list of those available, Acumatica should see that most recent version and use it.  That will allow you to delete the one that cause the errors.

Hope this at least gets you back into the report to continue working.

Yours,

Michael

Userlevel 4
Badge

@mrhoades Thank you! Luckily, I was in our training tenant. I was able to go to our demo and save a copy of the original report from Demo to Training. The error went away and it brought back all of the previous versions. I appreciate your help and quick response!