Solved

Item Class Attributes

• 3 February 2023
  • 8 replies

Hi! I have 20 item classes to classify my different types of items, to each item class I have 1-3 attributes which are different factors and values for each class according to the item type, the attributes values are only appropriate to the item class they’re assigned to but not to the others.

when creating a GI for all my items and I need to add my attributes to each item, it prompts me to add a separate column for each attribute, which gets me to a total of 20 columns, while each column is only relevant to its unique assigned item class but for all other items it’ll just be empty, the same thing happens when trying to add a parameter on top to be able to filter on the attribute values it prompts me to create a unique filter for each column with his own values.

I’m wondering is there is a better way of doing this, for example if I can have one column to show different attributes on each line according to that specific item, so I can minimize my GI with just adding 3 columns for attributes.      

icon

Best answer by darylbowman 3 February 2023, 19:57

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @Pinny 

Can you share a screen shot of what you are seeing? To show examples of what you are trying to do.

Thank you. 

Badge +11

Not sure if this is the best way to go about it, but if your 1-3 attributes correspond in any way, meaning that Class A has all three attributes - height, width, length - and Class B has different but corresponding attributes - height2, width2, length2 - then you could theoretically make three calculated columns.

Column 1 would calculate the correct attribute for the first attribute in each class, etc.

The calculation for each column would look something like this:

=Switch([CRCase.CaseClassID]='Class A',[CRCase.HEIGHT_Attributes],[CRCase.CaseClassID]='Class B',[CRCase.HEIGHT1_Attributes])

This is switch statement, which returns a result based on a condition. It works like this:

Switch(condition1, result1, condition2, result2, ...)

@darylbowman my 1-3 attributes does not have any relation between the item classes, for example for item class A the attributes would be height, width, length and for item class B the attributes would be Item gauge, item Material, and item pack, its all driven on the type of item, I need to store different factors about the item according to the item type

@kandybeatty49 Here is a sample image to what I’m referring to, each column below represents a different attribute, items test1 and test2 are from the same item class, and the other items belong to different item classes.  

Badge +11

I suppose even if the Attributes have no relationship to each other, if you wanted to see them in three columns, you could still do that. You’d just have to name the columns something generic.

Aside from that, I don’t see how you would get around having a column for each attribute.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Pinny If possible, can you please share the GI, which you have created?

@darylbowman Thanks for your reply, I will try that solution, I’m just concerned if such big formula wont cause any slow down in performance to my GI.

with that solution, is there anyway I can add a parameters to this GI and have the ability to filter based on the data in the GI column and not based on the database column? since that GI column will show data in each row from a different column in the database (according to the item class), is there a solution I should be able to work with just 3 parameters to filter within each GI column instead of creating a parameter for each attribute? Similarly how excel filtering works it checks what is actually in the column and you can filter on these values.     

Badge +11

Parameters would be the most complicated option because you'd have to match the values with a formula.

Filter tabs would probably work great because the column value would actually 'contain' the values themselves.

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved