GIs with parameters to have option to start search only after user presses GO

• 16 August 2020
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Hello,

We’ve designed several inquiries and dashboards. Some of which are with multiple parameters.
Currently, the changing or selection of every parameter would start the search immediately.

Like below, if “Date from” is changed, the search would start.

However, in some cases(for some inquiries/dashboards) , user would like to start search only after several parameters be chosen at the same time, please noted, not all the fields are required , how many and what parameters depend on the user’s wish.
    The reason behind this requirement is due to performance issue. For some inquiries/dashboards, it would take a longer time to retrieval data, and that would make the system “freeze” a while. And user think that freeze doesn’t need. 

The desired steps would be looked like, user select all the parameters he wants, can then click a search button, and then the system start to do search work

This is not really an urgent question or something must have. But I am just wondering is there a way to fulfill the special need?

7 replies

Userlevel 1

Not that I know of, but that would be an interesting idea. Sounds like a similar concept to the Defer Layout Update button in Excel pivot tables:

Userlevel 2

We have the same problem. I would also welcome an option to defer the search until specific parameters were completed. As a workaround, I sometimes default a field (e.g. InventoryID) to a lesser-used value so it will limit the returned data set on initial load.

Userlevel 2

As workaround you can just create a dummy parameter with Required=true and no default value. In this way the user will be forced to select it before the results are showed.

Where I had this kind of resource consuming reports, I created a parameter like this:

and in UI is displayed like this 

Hope this workaround will help you!

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

As workaround you can just create a dummy parameter with Required=true and no default value. In this way the user will be forced to select it before the results are showed.

Where I had this kind of resource consuming reports, I created a parameter like this:

@apara24 

Thank you, I nearly missed this talent method. Sorry to reply late.

It is a really smart trick.

However it works for GI, but seems can not be played with Dashboard.

You see, on dashboard, it lacks the fill with combo box value like on GI. So, I can not put the <Combox> as a paramemter and set the list values.
Can you give me a direction on how to make your kind of trick happen on Dashboard?
Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi Alin Para,

This is really great idea. 

This trick is very useful when we have huge data in the system with multiple parameters in Generic Inquiry.

thanks for sharing with us.

Userlevel 2

@apara24

Thank you, I nearly missed this talent method. Sorry to reply late.

It is a really smart trick.

However it works for GI, but seems can not be played with Dashboard.

You see, on dashboard, it lacks the fill with combo box value like on GI. So, I can not put the <Combox> as a paramemter and set the list values.
Can you give me a direction on how to make your kind of trick happen on Dashboard?
Thank you.

@ray20 

I tested on Dashboards and it seems that although Is required is checked for a dummy parameter, the dashboard brings data anyway. So this behavior looks like a bug for me.

Yes, you are right, the combo box is not present here, probably an idea on feedback.acumatica.com should be submitted.

I found a workaround for this but it is a little forced (I will write here only for info): you have to find an entity that you don’t use at all on your instance, and in this entity you can enter your action name (it must be an entity that have  a selector on it). For example , I used FOB Points :

Then, in Dashboards parameters , I put this in schema object and schema field like below:

Unfortunately, this is useless because the dashboards will refresh regardless of the value of the parameter “Is required”.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Converting this to an Idea.  Thank you for the feedback as this sure sounds like a useful feature.  Vote!

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved