Solved

Is there a way to easily enter a "Per Diem" expense in time entry and have it paid through payroll?

• 6 December 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

In our case, the supervisor would be entering the number of days that a per-diem should be paid per pay period.   The rate will be tied to the project (i.e. all employees working on the same project would get the same "per diem" amount for each day they worked).  It would be paid as a lump sum (un-taxed) total per paycheck, based on the number of days the employee worked on one or more “per diem” projects.

P.S.  In our case they will be sending time entries to a third party ISV, but this could apply to a client that uses Acumatica payroll as well.

Any thoughts?

icon

Best answer by meganfriesen37 12 December 2022, 16:26

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Have you looked at using the Materials Tab on the time card to enter the non-stock item codes for your allowances/per-diems?  It gets stored on the EPTimeCardItem table and only gets posted to a project (if using) when the time card is released (as it never creates a time activity).  I’m not sure how it works with the integrated Payroll Module, as we’re up in Canada and haven’t started using the new module yet.

Userlevel 1

Thanks Megan.  Had similar thoughts but hoping there is a way to get it paid through payroll (third-party) without a lot of manual intervention.  

We are just working with the 3rd party to fine tune the potential integration.  Sounds like you know your Acumatica files.  When we are ready to send the project time to payroll, which file will we likely be sending.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

The other option would be to have the employees/manager enter the Per Diem as “1 Hour” per day for that labor item on the Detail or Summary tab of the time card and have the rate linked to the project and/or employee.

For Exporting, there’s a couple options for this and it depends what you want to do with it and what your payroll processing system requires / will accept and if you have to do any data transformation (i.e. Labor Item X in Acumatica is actually Pay Code Y in the payroll system)

1. Create a report or generic inquiry to extract the time records for the current pay period to export into your another payroll system, likely using the PMTimeActivity table. This would not do any validation regarding whether time had previously been exported or if new time had been entered or revised in a prior period. There would be minimal set up time required to get this inquiry up and running.
  2. Build a custom export process - We’ve done this as a customization for other customers that can create the export files in the required format, mark each record when it is exported to the payroll system and check for any revised records in prior periods to ensure that payroll exports are complete and correct.
Userlevel 1

Thanks all for the help.  Any new ideas still appreciated, but I feel I now have a direction when it’s time to attempt this.  

Userlevel 4
Badge

the easiest way is to not handle this through time and expenses at all and just generate two checks. one in PR for time, one in AP for per diems / expense reimbursement. 

Short of creating a bogus time entry, or manually adding the line items towards the PR check after time has imported, there is no other way. At the end of the day, all the timecards do when working with payroll is import your information into the PR Batch details grid. 

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved