Skip to main content
Solved

MRP Type

• 24 May 2024
  • 3 replies

I have a question on MRP Types.  I have certain stock items that are managed on a min/max basis.  Screws, for example, I just want to maintain an inventory level but don’t really care which unit of production they go in to.  The screws are on the BOM, so when I run MRP these items show up to purchase twice.  One purchase suggestion is triggered by the Reorder Point, which is what I want.  However, another purchase suggestion is triggered by Production Material, which I don’t want.

Is there a setting within the Stock Item or possibly MRP Preferences that allows me to only use Reorder Point for MRP and not Production demand for items with a Min/Max replenishment method?

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@josborn,

The first line has a type reorder point, is because the current inventory level is below the reorder point. 

If you look at Detail Inquiry (AM404000) you should see that the reason the quantity is dropping below the reorder point for the second row in your picture is because there is demand from a production order that takes it below the threshold.

The type just indicates the demand MRP attributes to driving the projected on hand quantity below the indicated stocking level. 

Regarding this question below, I wasn’t entirely sure of the request.

Is there a setting within the Stock Item or possibly MRP Preferences that allows me to only use Reorder Point for MRP and not Production demand for items with a Min/Max replenishment method?

Are you wanting to exclude production demand from MRP calculations or just not see the individual demands the drive a quantity below the re-order point? If it’s the latter then I would suggest exploring the Days of Supply functionality.

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi Andre,

Thank you for the detailed reply.

We are still green with Acumatica and have been managing many stock items on a min/max basis for quite some time pretty successfully before we had an ERP system.  Now that I’m uploading a BOM that also has these items I’m worried about overstocking.  We manufacture large projects, and only have about one sales order every six weeks, so as soon as I upload the BOM the purchase suggestions skyrocket, which makes sense.  However, many of the raw materials are delivered weekly during the course of production of one production order, so we keep much lower inventory on hand than the production order calls for.  This is why I’m hoping there’s a way to exclude ‘Production Demand’ type from MRP for stock items with a Min/Max Replenishment method.  We could always do this by filtering in MRP Display, but that’s not a very clean solution.

There may not be a way to do this in Acumatica, which is a perfectly fine answer.  I just wanted to explore the possibility before we create a process that’s somewhat of a work around.

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

You can use MRP for some of your items and Replenishment for others.  If on the Stock Item you do not have the item setup to plan by MRP, the MRP Process will exclude it - and you can us Prepare Replenishment instead.