Solved

MRP - Safety Stock/Reorder point

• 29 February 2024
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

From ACU help:

I thought Reorder Point was for replenishment and safety stock was for MRP.

What if I have a value in both fields?

Also, are there any planning fields in the stock item screen that are only used by replenishment and not MRP?

Finally, I see this in help as well.  Does this all apply to MRP?

icon

Best answer by andrestamour43 29 February 2024, 19:13

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@ltussing03,

I thought Reorder Point was for replenishment and safety stock was for MRP.

What if I have a value in both fields?

On Inventory Planning Preferences (AM100000) users can select the stocking number to use as the threshold to re-order quantity. Only one value will be used by MRP / DRP, so having value in both fields will not impact the regeneration process. 

Also, are there any planning fields in the stock item screen that are only used by replenishment and not MRP?

Yes. In 2023R2 the stock item screen and item warehouse detail screens have been enhanced to only show relevant planning fields to the planning method selected on the stock item. There is an MRP whitepaper avaialble on the forum that shows which fields are used by MRP. 

Finally, I see this in help as well.  Does this all apply to MRP?

Safety stock - yes, reorder point yes (assuming on Inventory Planning Preferences Re-order point is selected as the stocking method) 

Max Quantity - No. MRP currently does not re-order up to a maximum quantity. If this is functionality that would be valuable for MRP and DRP to have please create a community idea. 

Hope this information helps!  

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@ltussing03 - Larry MRP will use this setting + everything Andre said :)

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Thank you both!

I had forgotten about the setting in Inventory planning to choose reorder point or safety stock.  It seems you can only choose 1 method for all stock items.

Since efforts were made to limit inventory planning settings on the stock items screen to only prompt for fields that are used by MRP when MRP is the planning method, I intend to open an enhancement request to drop “Max Quantity” since MRP does not utilize this. 

Please let me know if I misinterpreted this from your response.  Or if it is an inappropriate ask.

Thanks again!

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@ltussing03

Please note that there are two fields with a similar name. Max Quantity  is NOT the same as Max Order Qty.  

Max Order Quantity is the maximum order quantity allowed for a given production order, purchase order, transfer order. 

Max Quantity is a field used by inventory replenishment and is the maximum stock quantity that the replenishment will ever order up to. 

Example, MRP the Max Order Qty. is set to 50 and there is demand for 100 of the item, then I will get 2 planning recommendations to make 50 units each. Why is this useful? If the process has a batch size limitation then it might be useful to only make 50 units if only 50 units can fit in an over (for example) 

Example, the Max Quantity is set to 100 and the reorder point is set to 75 and there are only 55 units on hand - then Inventory Replenishment will suggest to order 45 units to get back to the Max Quantity of 100 

MRP and DRP Max Order Qty field 

Inventory Replenishment Max Qty. field

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Thanks for holding my hand and explaining with screen shots!

Very helpful!

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

No problem! I originally missed the difference between Max Quantity and Max Order Qty. … it wasn’t until I realized they populated different database fields that it “clicked” for me. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Well it makes perfect sense when someone points out that you should read ALL the words…….

Thanks again!

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved