Solved

Customization Level: What is the best approach when labelling customization levels?

• 31 July 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

I have looked on the forum and haven’t found a single post or more information for “leveling” customization on the Customization Projects Screen. 

Is there a good way to properly level customization? What kind of approach should someone have when dealing with multiple customizations for the same screen? 

icon

Best answer by Naveen Boga 1 August 2023, 08:56

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@rpearson69  Customization Package Levelling is an essential mechanism that aids in resolving conflicts between packages. This feature proves particularly useful in the following scenarios:

Dependency on Other Customization: When a customization package relies on another customization, it becomes necessary to specify the package levels to ensure package publish smooth.

Importance of Changes: It is strongly advised to assign the HIGHEST level to packages containing critical and significant changes. This practice ensures that these vital modifications take precedence and are implemented effectively.

Default Level: In the absence of a specified package level, the system will automatically consider it as Level 0.

By utilizing Package Levels effectively, we can streamline the customization process, minimize conflicts, and leading to a more efficient and seamless deployment of customized package solutions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @rpearson69 ,

Acumatica provides customization projects that allow you to group related customizations together. Create separate customization projects for different modules or logical groupings of customizations. Additionally, consider using versioning within the customization projects to track changes over time.

Prioritize the customizations based on business impact, urgency, and complexity. Start with high-priority and straightforward customizations before moving on to more complex ones.

Use clear and consistent naming conventions for customizations, fields, and other objects. This makes it more easier to understand.

Regards,

Sweta

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Just an example of how I do Package levels:

• Customization packages from my VAR get higher priority (so a lower number, say 1-5).  I don’t want to mess with their builds, and I would struggle to troubleshoot them if I did
  • Next (6), I have a customization package that I use with all my custom fields.  That way, other customizations can see them downstream
  • Finally (7+), other packages, like Workflows

I’m no expert, but this strategy has seemed to work well so far.  Best of luck!

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved