Question

CURRENT COST / LAST COST / PENDING COSTS

• 4 October 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I am having a hard time understanding exactly where these costs are coming from and how to adjust.

Standard cost section

Pending costs - ???

Last cost - ???

Current cost????? - where can I update this??

Cost Statistics Section

Last cost - this is the last cost that it was moved into inventory at (looks to be actual cost of materials issued against production order)

average Cost - this is the number that I just entered under Item warehouse Details, then rant updated standard costs

min/ max - looks to be actual cost from production orders

my questions are 1. - how come EVERY time I update cost on the warehouse details, it automatically goes back to what I just updated it from?  7.67. updated to 8.30 and now it looks to be going back to 7.67 tomorrow

1. - where and how do I update current Cost.  what is this number and where is it used?
  2. when I update standard costs, why does it go to the average cost, vs the standard cost last cost?

am I missing something???

thank you!

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

HI @Kakie 

The Costing is based off your Valuation Method for the Stock Item. What is the Valuation Method on the item?

Here is some info on the Valuation Method:

The method used for the item for inventory valuation, which by default is the valuation method associated with the item class. You can select another valuation method for the item from the following options:

• Average: Each item’s unit cost is calculated as the average weighted cost of all items at the warehouses—that is, the total costs of all quantities of the inventory items at the warehouses divided by the total quantity.
  • Standard: Each item’s unit cost is estimated to include some of the indirect and direct costs allocated.
  • FIFO: Each item’s unit costs are recorded in layers, each of which is identified by the receipt date, the quantity, and the purchase price.
  • Specific: Each item’s unit cost is defined by the unit’s purchase price. The unit cost assigned to the item on its receipt will remain the same until the item is issued, used as a component, or sold. This method is used for lot- and serial-tracked items.

There are a few ways to update Standard Cost:

• If you want to update standard costs for inventory items, you use the Price/Cost tab of the Stock Items or Non-Stock Items (IN202000) form. New values for standard costs are entered as pending standard costs. The pending cost assigned to an inventory item that uses the standard cost valuation method becomes effective starting on the date specified in the Pending Date box on this tab.
  • If you want to make similar changes to many or all inventory items, you use the Update Standard Costs (IN502000) form to enter new values and compare current and pending costs side by side for all inventory items. If you are satisfied with the changes, you can update the current standard costs with the pending standard costs for all items or only selected ones by using the Process All or Process action on the form toolbar. When standard costs are updated and inventory is revalued for multiple inventory items, the system generates a consolidated inventory adjustment for the items being processed to make the necessary cost corrections. The consolidated inventory adjustment is generated on the current business date. To view the list of generated adjustments, use the Adjustments (IN303000) form.
  • If you want to change the settings of the standard cost for the item stored at a particular warehouse by using the Item Warehouse Details form, you make the required changes on this form and then update standard costs by using the Update Standard Costs form.
  • The system does not keep a history of the standard costs for the inventory items, displaying only the last cost and current cost values on the Price/Cost tab of the Stock Items form. The historical costs that were effective before the last cost are not stored in the database.
Userlevel 2
Badge

Thank you! @kandybeatty49    This item is set up as Standard cost. - so that was I was wondering why I couldnt update from the stock item screen and I had to go to the item warehouse screen.  Do we have something not checked that is causing us not to be able to update from the stock item screen?.  Also, why would it update the average field instead???

Also, glad to know that we are able to update multiple items at a time on the update standard cost screens.  What will happen if we decide to change to FIFO method?

(we have items in all categories and are working to get everything in 1 pricing method, not sure why it was never set up that way to begin with, but at this point, all I can do is clean it up and move on)  any suggestions you have to do a mass clean up would be helpful!!

Userlevel 1
Badge

It’s the Max Cost that baffles me. Why does the Sales Order pull that in as the SO Unit Cost when other costs are available? It causes all sorts of issues. Can we disable this cost?

Userlevel 7
Badge

Hi @Kakie were you able to find a solution? Thank you!

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved