Solved

Workflow / Customization Project - Choose Customer by Location Address

Userlevel 3
Badge

In Field Service we mostly care about the service address, which would be the Customer Location address.  

We need to be able to have the user, in the Service Order screen, enter in an address and have the system match it to a customer record and populate the Customer field and the Location field with the match.  I am not a developer and would like to know if this is addressable either by a Workflow type customization. 

I have tried using Actions/Navigation:Search Records but the closest I have come is to allow a popup of the Customer Location GI.  This could possible work if the user could use the popup GI and search the address, select the customer and have it populate in the Customer field with the corresponding Location ID.

Any ideas or pointers would be great.  Thanks.

icon

Best answer by andrew15 24 February 2022, 23:30

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Sorry I can’t test this idea but what if the user did a search of the address in the Customer Locations List Screen (AR3030P1) and then clicked the Location ID to open the Customer Location (AR303020). If you added a customer Action in screen AR303020 to create the service order for that Customer with Location. That would get you your end result without too much customizing I would think.

Userlevel 3
Badge

That could certainly work, but I need the ideal solution that would not require a user to jump around from screen to screen.  The key is for them to be able to use just one screen, Service Orders.  I’ll give that some thought though...thanks.   

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Still not ideal but maybe can be implemented, to just simply search by address when searching for customer. It won’t pick up Location but at least it saves the entry time and not having to go to other screens. The user would then just select the Location. It would be better too if the Location name represents the address like Street Name, City, Suburb, etc.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks Kristian but the location address is key.  This is the address they need to search for.  In some cases it wil be the same as the customer address but for property managers, for example, they will have hundreds of locations that they manage.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

We have the exact same problem.  We don’t care about the customer, as our customer is the equipment we service on site, and the customer who is responsible for the equipment can change yearly or even in a day.  for example, we could servicing the equipment for the landlord, tenant, property management, or an insurance company, or another contractor.  The only thing that stays the same is the address and the equipment at the address.

I am trying to develop what @amajors is suggested, but it still means we will have duplicate locations for multiple customers or we will have to be very aware on changing the billing customer.  This causes lots of mistakes, and the way field service works, fixing a mistake triples the amount of work to fix it.  We are working with our partner to develop a customization that will address some of the deficiencies acuamtica has.  We hope to have realtime service order costing and updating, and the ability to fix mistakes easier, and actual cost accounting reports and WIP for service orders.  We are really hoping acumatica will eventually put some effort into bringing the field service module up to a liveable standard.

I would add this to the product ideas and talk to your VAR about a customization.

Andrew

Userlevel 3
Badge

@andrew15 couldn’t agree more.  If I come across a better solution I will post it here.  if you happen to come across a WIP report then I would be most interested in seeing it.  I have struggled mightely putting together a WIP report due to the convoluted way Acu handles the costing in various tables.  If you are not on 2021R1 yet then that may solve many problems with the use of workflows.  Most of our customers are on 2020R2 still.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@dgross54 we are on 2020R2, we were going to move to 21R1 but at this point, we are waiting for 21R2 to see of that helps at all.  We have a bug fix we are waiting for from acuamtica that will allow us to update costs on the appointment, which I hope will allows us to use a business event to updates costs from service orders or AP bills.  Then we will make a report for the costing getting the WIP for service orders.

The big problem with field service is that information only flow out of field service and we are putting a ton of resources into updating the costs the in field services, to the point where we have had to hire to full time staff just for that.  Our theory right now is that instead of bringing the accounting side of the acumatica to the service, which we have been trying, but it is messy,  we have changed our approach to just trying to update the data in the service module and run the reports off of that data.

Userlevel 3
Badge

@andrew15 don’t get too discouraged, been w Acumatica for a while now and they will get this right...just not right now! (which what we all want)  We are using a couple of github cost related customizations that will eventually become standard ACU.  Consult with your VAR about their potential utility if you like or they may already be aware of them.  Two are below...you can copy and paste into google to find them.  GL

PXSpecialOrderCostPkg

PXLineCostForAccrue

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@dgross54 we are getting closer to a field service WIP report for Acumatica.  a bug is fixed that we were waiting for where we can update the costs on the Service order from a p.o. using a business event.  Once we get a fix for a bug on the costing of stock items (our stock items cost are different in all 3 screens-stock item, service order, and appointments) so they are accurate or the same, we will be able to use an average hourly cost rate (because we can’t get actual from our payroll system to field service yet) I can build a WIP report with all the costs and revenue for over, under billings by service order.  hopefully in the next 6 months, we can get this last bug fixed.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Andrew, I created this WIP GI which might prove useful to you.  It follows this path: Appointment Detail to Invoice, Appt Detail to SVO Detail to Invoice.  That way I can have all the data regardless if it was billed from appt or svo and can see the cost details of each line including cost difference between detail and invoice.  The sheer tonnage of hours I put into this reduced my life expectancy by decades so I’ll like to pass it along before I’m laid to rest! :-)

There are some formulas I used based on Item Class that would need to be adjusted according to your system setup.  This was working perfectly in 2020R2.  I’m sure your wip report is working fine for you but you never know what additional resource might prove useful. GL

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved