Solved

SO change after creating shipment

I’m looking to have the flexibility on a SO document after creating the shipment (prior to confirming the shipment), for example add or remove items from the SO, increase or decrease quantities, or change shipping location.

I know we can create another SO and attach it to the same shipment, but this only helps when we want to add and item or increase the quantity, however this wont be a solution if we want to remove an item or decrease the quantity on the SO level or change shipping address.

I know there is an option to delete a shipment and re-create a new one, but this doesn't work for me, since I created already the shipment and employees started working with the shipment it will cause confusion with deleting and starting again and duplicate work.

Is there any other solution how this can be accomplished?

icon

Best answer by kyle90 1 February 2023, 21:32

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Pinny Acumatica will not support changes to the Sales Order when any shipment is in OPEN status for the respective Sales Order.

If you wanted to go with the customization, I strongly recommend you to analyze the impacts before you do customization on this. (Also, recommend you to check with Acumatica support team, if possible for the impacts/for the best approach)

Thanks Naveen for your reply.

the only reason I would do create shipment at the stage I still want to make changes in the Sales Order would be to have the ability to use WMS functionality in the system for the pick & pack workflow, otherwise I would just create the shipment at the time I’m ready to lock the sales order of changes.

would there be any solution how I can utilize WMS functionality in Acumatica for picking & packing without creating the shipment? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

We don’t need to do this often, but one trick we’ve found for fixing issues on the SO without deleting the shipment is to remove the line items from the Shipment temporarily.

You’re left with a shipment that doesn’t have any items but it reopens the SO where you can make changes. Once you’ve fixed the SO, you can use the Add Order button to re-add the line items you need.

You need to be careful that it pulls inventory from the same location as the original shipment if you’ve already picked items - but otherwise it preserves the Shipment’s document number. 

@kyle90 Thank you so much for sharing this trick, it works amazing.

unfortunately, we come across this scenario quite often ☹, and I think in a medium size company were really trying to satisfy their customers (and don't want to give that experience that once an order was placed you cant make any changes), it is the norm that a customer should ask to change something in their order and the vendor will try to accommodate it at least until the picking stage isn’t completed.

I’m wondering if there is another way of doing this than deleting the shipment or items from the shipment (which means loosing any data already entered in the shipment and more manual work)

any solution here will be a great help. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @Pinny This may be a stretch, but you may want to evaluate using Blanket Sales Orders (in version 2022R1 and higher) as a workaround. In this case the Blanket Order would be the full, actual order, it is what you regularly edit (items, quantities, etc.) as you describe above.  You would create Child Orders (releases) against the lines that you sure that are ready for picking / shipping.  The Picking sand Shipments would be against the Child Orders. The Blanket Order Number would be your tie back to the customer’s PO.  

Hope this helps,

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Pinny i would like to hear more about the business scenarios.  Why are you needing to add or remove items from the SO, increase or decrease quantities, or change shipping location? I think a deep dive with you guiding us through your challenges is in order.  Can we email you proposed date/times to meet virtually via Teams?  -Dana

@Pinny i would like to hear more about the business scenarios.  Why are you needing to add or remove items from the SO, increase or decrease quantities, or change shipping location? I think a deep dive with you guiding us through your challenges is in order.  Can we email you proposed date/times to meet virtually via Teams?  -Dana

Did anything come of this @Dana Moffat?

We often have customer requests to change orders after we’ve created shipments and picked them and the lack of ability to adjust pickwork or make changes is really bogging us down. We do heavy serialized items that we have to scan, can’t generate them, and every time we have to make a change we’re having to delete the pickwork and shipment, and redo it. This is really frustrating as our orders are often hundreds to potentially thousands of serialized devices on a single shipment, and even something as simple as a misscan by the scanner can cause us to have to redo hundreds of scans. Throw in the lack of ability to specify what location we want to pick from, and the whole process becomes extremely frustrating. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @jkramer , i did meet with Pinny via Teams.

Would you also like to meet with me too?  If so, i can send a Teams invite with proposed date/times.

Thanks,

Dana

@Dana Moffat that would be great, thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@jkramer sent you some meeting date/time options.

@Dana Moffat 

I want to circle back to check if any improvements on this coming soon, this really bugs down our warehouse process, since we’re only creating the shipments in last minute to gain the extra time to make changes in the SO, and we simply cannot leverage the advantage of Acumatica ERP in our pick, pack, ship process.

Please let me know.

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved