Solved

Is there a way to manage template item attributes directly and though the item class?

• 24 June 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi all,

I’m a little confused about why template item variants are not configurable at the item level. Take, for example 2 shirts made by different manufacturers. Yes, the sizes will probably be the same (S, M, L), but the colors may be wildly different. So far as I can tell, I’m left with 3 options.

1. Have a single COLOR attribute and add every color for every shirt we encounter.
  2. Create an item class for every distinct set of colors.
  3. Create an attribute for every distinct set of colors and add all of those attributes to a single SHIRTS item class.

I don’t like any of these as it seems like it’ll lead to a lot of clutter on the screens. Are there alternative solutions here? Ideally, I’d be able to decide at the item level which attributes to include with the item but alas...

icon

Best answer by ericwolfe74 14 July 2023, 03:19

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Whoops, title should be “Is there a way to manage template item attributes directly rather than though the item class?”

Userlevel 1

@joshatsbp By ‘manage template item attributes directly’ do you mean via the ‘Template Items’ screen, or via the ‘Stock Item’ screen?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi there,

I mean manage the attributes for template items directly rather than through the item class. Similarly, I’d love if I could manage Stock and Non-Stock Item attributes directly rather than through the item class.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Have you specified the attributes that have  the Variant attribute category (which indicates that the attribute is used to generate matrix items) and the Combo control type; you will use these variables to generate matrix items based on the template item.  

For each template item, you specify the following settings in addition to the item class (from which other settings are inherited):

Suppose that matrix items are used for a T-shirt of various sizes, colors, and materials. You want sizes to be displayed by default in the rows, and colors to be displayed by default in the columns. For a material, you select a particular value (such as cotton). In the matrix table, you select combinations of particular sizes and colors for the selected material.

• The attribute whose values will be displayed in the matrix columns by default, and the attribute whose values will be displayed in the matrix rows by default when you generate the matrix items on the Item Creation tab of the Template Items form. For other attributes of the Variant category (if there are any), you select the particular value when creating matrix items.
  • The settings that determine the identifiers of the matrix items that will be generated by using the template item. The identifiers of matrix items can be segmented and are generated automatically. To compose the segments, you can use attribute values and captions, the template ID and description, constants, automatically generated numbers, and spaces.
  • The settings to be used for the descriptions of matrix items. Descriptions are generated automatically when you create matrix items. These descriptions can be segmented, and the segments can be composed based on the same entities as the segments of item identifiers can.
Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey Eric,

I”m sorry, but I don’t see how your response relates to my question. I was wondering if there’s a way to attach attributes directly to a template item rather than to its class.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

You have to add the attribute type to the Item Class which will carry over to the stock items.  They don’t necessarily have to have a value for each attribute but you do have to add the attribute type to the Item Class.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks Eric, yes, that’s how I understood it. Was wondering if there was another way. I guess not.

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved