Solved

Increasing the Inventory Segmented Key beyond 30 characters

• 28 March 2024
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I have a customer who’s inquiring about increasing the Inventory Segmented key from 30 to 45 characters.

I’ve asked for the reasoning behind this and will see if using Inventory Subitems might be a solution.

But, I’d like to know if increasing the length can be done and if so, are there negative repercussions throughout the system (other then display issues due to length on reports and/or screens)?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by donnadeskins55 9 April 2024, 14:42

View original

8 replies

Badge +18

Hello,

To best assess the impact on your client’s situation,I recommend a small “proof of concept” exercise as follows:

Change the maximum length of the Inventory key in a test copy of your tenant.

Once the Inventory Key is expanded to 45 characters, expand a few stock/non-stock item ID’s to  take advantage of all the characters.

Test all data entry screens, GI’s, and Reports including all ISV’s and customizations.  Test processes like Orders, shipments, transfers, and receipts, imports, and exports. ( Follow your normal testing scripts as if you were preparing for an upgrade.)

If you and your customer are satisfied with the outcome, repeat the segmentation expansion in the live tenant.

Good luck!

Laura

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Thanks @Laura02 .

Increasing the field length would need to be done with a customization, wouldn’t it?

Badge +18

Good point! 

I had not considered your customer is already at the max size for Item ID’s. 

I don’t see any posts related to increasing Inventory ID beyond the limit, but I think the process you will need and impact to consider is very similar to the below post answered by Reza, where expanding GL Account number beyond the natural maximum is discussed:

HTH

Laura

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@donnadeskins55 sub-items is not a viable option

Badge +18

Dana makes another good point: sub-items is being deprecated, phased out.  Please review the following related post answered by @Dana Moffat :

Laura

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@donnadeskins55 also curious about the need for such a lengthy Inventory ID.  Is it truly the Inventory ID or is this a composite of other info along with the Inventory ID?

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi @Dana Moffat, I posed that question to the customer.

I’m very familiar with their processes and I can’t think of a reason they would need the Inventory ID to be that long.

I’ll let you know when I hear back from them 🙂

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

My customer has determined that they won’t pursue increasing the length beyond 30 characters.

It was something the engineering team was looking for to add more intelligence to the part number.

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved