How Can I deal with the "confirmed" shipment after the previous linked invoice has been cancelled?

• 23 October 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Hello ,
       I am using 2020 R1. Correct me if I am wrong, it seems to me the “Invoice cancellation ” function is duplicated with “Invoice correction” function. Or even worse, it is not very straight forward or some how confusing.
     According to the help doc, the credit memo only off set the Invoice total, it did not return/add inventory back. And it makes the shipment back to “confirmed” status.

however, User can NOT correct this shipment or delete this shipment.
Yes, It might be the IN issue is released. But in most cases, it is released at that time.

So in this case, what can I do with this “confirmed” shipment.
It seems to me I can only proceed it to another invoice, then what is the difference with “correct invoice” function?
    Moreover, if User looking for a “”REAL” cancellation, which offset the AR and put all inventory back, what is the quickest way for user to do?
      Please Advise. Thank you.

6 replies

Userlevel 1

The Correct Shipment action is available only if the related Inventory transaction is not released. If the IN transaction is already released then you are forced to create an invoice and create a CM (Order Type) to reverse the invoice. The SO Invoice prior to release can be overwritten to be at $0 and then an IN Adjustment can be created to bring the Inventory back in.

Sales Order Preferences allows for the IN to be released alongwith the Invoice, you may want to consider using that and turn off automation schedule , if any, that automatically Updates IN. This will give additional time for users to correct shipments.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

The Correct Shipment action is available only if the related Inventory transaction is not released. If the IN transaction is already released then you are forced to create an invoice and create a CM (Order Type) to reverse the invoice. The SO Invoice prior to release can be overwritten to be at $0 and then an IN Adjustment can be created to bring the Inventory back in.

Sales Order Preferences allows for the IN to be released alongwith the Invoice, you may want to consider using that and turn off automation schedule , if any, that automatically Updates IN. This will give additional time for users to correct shipments.

@apanchamia 
Hello, Thank you . May I ask are you a staff working at Acumatica company? If yes, can I raise a idea that the “Cancel invoice” function better be redesigned. 
Causing as I said, normally IN doc are set automatically released with the releasing of Invoice. So in this case, to “Cancel” a “Open” invoice can not be working. It turns to a “Invoice correction” in the end.
What is worse, sometimes, Users are taking the “cancel invoice” a “real” cancel, they won’t notice there is some inventory be deducted and not be added back.
thank you.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi @ray20,

In fact, the cancellation of an SO Invoice doesn’t affect to the inventory issue transaction generated at the process of releasing an SO Invoice. This is mentioned on the help article:

https://help-2020r1.acumatica.com/Help?ScreenId=ShowWiki&pageid=707e4961-915d-454f-8668-6c72773823ed

At the same, SO Invoice correct and cancellation actions are working in a different manner.

Please, find examples for both of them in the initial release notes for 2020R1 (pages 92-96):

http://acumatica-builds.s3.amazonaws.com/builds/2020R1/PDF/AcumaticaERP_2020_R1_ReleaseNotes.pdf

To sum it all up, if an SO Invoice is cancelled, the related shipment cannot be corrected, because an IN Issue transaction is already generated by that moment.

Even if the Automatically Release IN Documents option isn’t selected on the SO Preferences, an IN Issue will be generated alongwith releasing an SO Invoice and will remain in the Balanced status, but inventory documents originated in SO and PO modules cannot be modified/deleted.

Here I can suggest the following options to cover the requiroment:

1. Cancel an SO Invoice and release the credit memo.

Then do an Inventory adjustment for the Item (to return an inventory to the stock).

https://help-2020r1.acumatica.com/Help?ScreenId=ShowWiki&pageid=249d3ad9-7c51-477b-ab9a-ace269baa1a9

And after that, you can re-open a SO (using Actions > Re-Open Order), create a new line with the needed item and create another shipment with correct parameters.

OR

2. Create an RMA order, receive the item back and release the Credit memo.

Additionaly, we will really appreciate your suggestions regarding to improvments for cancellation SO option. Plesae, post your idea to the  https://community.acumatica.com/ideas .

Hope this helps.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

@Julia Golomidova 
Thank you, Julia, for the words to words detailed explanation. Thank you very much.
however, In fact, here, I am not arguing for we don’t have enough documentation. I am not asking for the steps.

My real point here, is what can I do with the “confirmed” shipment if I had cancelled the invoice.

If you stand on user’s feet, what can user do?
You give me a “confirmed” shipment, I can not correct it, I can only proceed it. Or leave it as confirmed forever, this is not what user wanted.
So, I am talking about product design, in my two cents, it better be redesigned. 
Can you bring this idea to Acumatica product team? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @ray20 

Noted your point. There are two Feature requests on our Ideas page at present requesting this functionality. Here are the links. You may vote and add your comments as well. These are reviewed by our Product team.

https://community.acumatica.com/ideas/customer-shipment-return-functionality-978

https://community.acumatica.com/ideas/ability-to-reverse-a-order-entry-shipment-after-update-in-without-having-to-create-an-invoice-and-then-credit-note-1623

Regards,

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

@Julia Golomidova @vkumar 
Thank you both, I’ve created an new idea based on my question.
Thank you for your time.

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved