Solved

eCommerce and API Limits

• 18 April 2023
  • 3 replies

Hello,

We have written an integration for an eCommerce platform utilizing the Contract based REST APIs. We have implemented Logout after each request according to guidance from the documentation, and other discussions here in this community, and that helped resolve some issues we were encountering with License limits.

Unfortunately, this seems to have exposed a different issue. We are now routinely experience poor performance, and this is apparently related to a number of our calls were getting denied or throttled. You can see below that starting on 4/17, the system is reporting a number of declined and delayed requests. While this is a small percentage of all the transactions, we believe this is a significant number of calls we are making from our system.

When we login with our user, we are using a scope of api only. We are open to the suggestion that this is an improper scope for our implementation, and can adjust this if that is suggested. Our API user is configured to allow for up to 3 sessions. It doesn’t appear we are hitting login limits. Our license limits for our test system are below.

I have 2 questions for the community:

1. Are these limits reasonable to expect for a system that will be supporting a single eCommerce websites?
  2. Are there other sources of best practices for integrating with Acumatica using the REST APIs outside of the integration guide?

We are using some caching to prevent calls to Acumatica that are likely to result in the same answer to help limit the calls we have to make, but the Requests/Minute limit seems awfully low to support an eCommerce website. We do integrate with real time pricing (backed by a cache), and any item that needs to be priced can result in multiple calls depending on the pricing strategy; we believe that we quickly exhaust our request/minute limit just from these requests.

Any additional guidance and suggestions are welcome. Thank you for your help.

icon

Best answer by Kulvir Kaila 26 April 2023, 20:29

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi there,

Just some basic questions that I assume you are already doing:

1. Do you have a separate user for this integration?  I am assuming you are not using admin.
  2. Are you implementing a leaky bucket algorithm to throttle the API calls when you reach 3 concurrent web API requests?
  3. What is the source of truth for pricing?  I’m a bit confused how that impacts your calls?

Thanks for the response Kulvir!

1. Yes, we have a separate user for the integration, that is only used for the integration.
  2. No, we did not implement a leaky bucket algorithm to throttle the calls from our integration to Acumatica. Based on your question, however, I can see why it makes sense to do so, and will be including that in our next iteration.
  3. SalesPricesInquiry is ultimately the final source of truth, but depending on the response from that primary call, we may make an additional call to get the base price. Some of our thought process for pricing can be seen here:

As to how it impacts our calls, it simply means that getting a price for a single item may require more than one call to the Acumatica API with our current implmentation.

Ultimately, and especially with the Leaky Bucket algorithm, we will have more visibility and control into the process of sending the calls to the Acumatica endpoints, However, one of my primary concerns is still relevant, are the limits, especially the 100 API calls/minute, typical of license limits for an Acumatica install that supports eCommerce?

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I believe you will have to upgrade your tier to get higher license limits.  For example, L Series tier will give you 6 concurrent web service API requests.

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved