Looking for customization on attaching files to an invoice notification

• 25 February 2021
  • 18 replies

Userlevel 1

Has anyone created a customization to automatically attach files to an invoice? We need a solution where we can attached service order reports to SO invoices upon emailing. 

Someone submitted an idea on this matter 2 years ago, with several upvotes, but Acumatica hasn't acted on this yet.

18 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

@jlowry40 
Hello, actually, Acumatica is support to attach “PDF” invoice to an email, or any other report you like when sending this email out.

You can refer to the below method for example
This is a email will send to customers automatically and use the pdf invoice as attachment.

We have been able to write code that dynamically decides what attachment to attach to the invoice or shipment. I this case it is looking at all the lot numbers on a shipper and retrieving a COA (Certificate of Analysis) for each lot on the shipper to send set to the customer (we also can combine all of the individual file to one master). If you need help with a coding example let me know.

Userlevel 1

@jpavain, What we need is the ability to attach either the SERVICE ORDER report or the APPOINTMENT report to be attached to the SO Invoice during the email process. Was hoping that someone might have already customized this so we didn't have to re-invent the wheel. 

@ray20, It would be nice to do it the way you have suggested, but there doesn't seem to be a way to link any of the service reports to an SO invoice. At least that I can determine. Thoughts?

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

@jlowry40 
hello, let me rephrase the question to make sure I understand you 100%

Supposing we are having an invoice, and on that invoice, we are having multiple attachments, like jpg, scanned files. Now, when we email that invoice to customer, you’d like to associate all other attachments with the invoice itself.  Do I understand your need correctly?

I think this is what the vote is asking for. if this is the case, I don’t know what to do.

But ,if you are just  want to attach either the SERVICE ORDER report or the APPOINTMENT report. Are these report be written in Rpx format?
If it is so, I think we can attachment them together.

Userlevel 1

@ray20 yes, both the invoice and the service order report are .rpx 

We currently aren't using file attachments for reports yet. The main focus is getting the Service order form with the SO Invoice

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

@jlowry40 
I think your need can be achieved by business event.

1, you write a Generic inquiry which contains both the invoice and service order information. And you should be able to link an invoice with a service order.
This step is to define the data source.

2, then, you use result of the inquiry as the data source of a business event.
And you make an email notification as the subscriber of this business event.

3, Finally, you attach the two rpx files to your notification template defined in step 2.

Userlevel 1

@ray20 Great idea, but I think we then have another challenge. Most of our customers are marked for email or print and all our invoices are processed through the Process Invoices & Memos screen. Any invoices flagged as “pending print” will not recognize that the invoice has been emailed and the state will not change. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

@jlowry40 
hello, in this case , another idea come into my mind.
you can take advantage of report and subreport.  Both are in .rpx format.

You use the invoice as the Main/Master report.
And you add the service order as the sub report on the main report. You can put the sub report in the footer of the main report. Then it would look like an information attached on the invoice.
Furthermore, you can use visibility to control which customers will show service order and which don’t.
So you still process the invoice on “Process Invoices & Memos screen.”

The key benefit here is when you run the main report, the sub report will be run at the same time.
It will be displayed on the invoice together.

Userlevel 1

@ray20 That might just work for us. Will give it a trial and see how it turns out.

Acumatica has a customization that we use to attach related AP invoices to our AR invoice as backup documentation.

Design Spec Document_Generic PDF Invoice Customization.pdf

@jpavain I am looking to do exactly what you described.  I would be very interested in an example.

The described customization project is maintained by Acumatica and should be available through support.  

We utilize a customized invoice format and the PDF customization attaches project related documents to the invoice.

The Design Spec document provides the approach used in the customization. On the projects screen under the Billing and Allocations, the customization adds “Include Transactions Detail” and “Include Attachments” as options.  When selected, transaction detail information and/or related attachments are added to the invoice form. (See attached screen shot)

We have been able to write code that dynamically decides what attachment to attach to the invoice or shipment. I this case it is looking at all the lot numbers on a shipper and retrieving a COA (Certificate of Analysis) for each lot on the shipper to send set to the customer (we also can combine all of the individual file to one master). If you need help with a coding example let me know.

Would like to know more details as to what you did here. We have a customer that attaches CofA’s to the shipment. They are PDF’s and using sub reports is not an option. Seems you may have a solution. Tried the Acumatica customization, but that did not work for PDF files.

Would like to know more details as to what you did here. We have a customer that attaches CofA’s to the shipment. They are PDF’s and using sub reports is not an option. Seems you may have a solution. Tried the Acumatica customization, but that did not work for PDF files.

Coding Examples would be great if possible.

The described customization project is maintained by Acumatica and should be available through support.  

We utilize a customized invoice format and the PDF customization attaches project related documents to the invoice.

The Design Spec document provides the approach used in the customization. On the projects screen under the Billing and Allocations, the customization adds “Include Transactions Detail” and “Include Attachments” as options.  When selected, transaction detail information and/or related attachments are added to the invoice form. (See attached screen shot)

Just to clarify, when this customization is enabled, when emailing an invoice to a customer, does it combine the invoice and attachments into one seamless PDF, or does it still have separate PDF documents: one PDF for the invoice and one PDF for the merged attachments, both added to the email?

Finding that the sub report route only allows for image files like tif, png.. but not pdf.   The attached file prints in sub report only if image. 
The design spec mentioned in the thread also appears to be for billing cycles and project accounting.   
Has anything been developed in the past year or so that allows for this now?   For instance.  If a pdf is attached to an Invoice, there should be option to include that pdf attachment in addition to the printed invoice attachment when the email record is created.   Customers have been asking me this for 7 years.   

Userlevel 1
Badge

Also looking for a way to pick up files attached to documents and include them in an email notification template. eg drawings and images attached to PO Requisitions with Supplier bidding. Has anyone achieved this?  

Userlevel 3
Badge

Finding that the sub report route only allows for image files like tif, png.. but not pdf.   The attached file prints in sub report only if image. 
The design spec mentioned in the thread also appears to be for billing cycles and project accounting.   
Has anything been developed in the past year or so that allows for this now?   For instance.  If a pdf is attached to an Invoice, there should be option to include that pdf attachment in addition to the printed invoice attachment when the email record is created.   Customers have been asking me this for 7 years.   

Can someone give a direction at least to look to accomplish this?  Even just an example of code or point us in a direction.  I agree with gpolsky53 this is clearly a need and even an expectation for customers yet no direction on how to bridge the gap has been suggested. 

Thank in advance for anyone’s help getting started on a solution to this problem.

-Greg

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved