Skip to main content
Solved

24R2 Preview: Problems building source code for the new UI

• 22 July 2024
  • 9 replies

Before I completely remove the 2024R2 Preview instance that I’ve working on and start over, I want to share the issues I’ve run into to see if anyone can point me in the right direction and save me some time and frustration.

A decent amount of information can be found from different developers on enabling the modern UI on the earliest version of Acumatica where it was available. However, I’ve found very little in regards to working with it in 24R2. I don’t know if there are differences on not.

I realize the new UI is not for production use, but I’m following the instructions from the Acumatica documentation and various blog posts to learn what I can about it so that I’m ready when it’s released for production use.

Here’s where I’m at, what I’ve tried, and what I’m stuck with.
My instance is running 2024 R2, Preview Build 24.191.0155 

When I installed it, I checked the “install nodejs” checkbox and had the below folder at the site root.

However, it didn’t actually appear to be installed.

1. I ended up removing the NodeJS folder that had downloaded with the 24R2 Preview install since something seemed to be messed up with it.
  2. Then I followed these ( https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dev-environment/javascript/nodejs-on-windows ) instructions to install nvm-windows, node.js, and npm, which are required per the Acumatica documentation for development of the new UI.
  3. Then updated the NodeJsPath entry in the web.config file of my site to point to the new install location which was in C:\Program Files.
  4. I followed the instructions from the Acumatica help documentation for development of the new UI here: https://help.acumatica.com/Help?ScreenId=ShowWiki&pageid=a2588a07-c385-4f9e-8722-37c2924b92e8

4.1 When I ran the npm install command in the FrontendSources\screen folder it threw an error because the TypeScript version was incompatible with the ts-jest version.

step 4.1

1. So I updated the TypeScript version to one that was compatible with ts-jest. I got some deprecation warning, but no errors.
step 5

1. Then I proceeded to run the npm run build-dev command as specified in the documentation. Now there was a compatibility issue with ts-loader.
step 6

1. So I updated that package to a compatible version.
step 7

1. Then I ran the npm run build-dev command again. I'm not sure I understand what's happening here, but it appears to possibly have been partially(?) successful. I did notice the message "6% setup before compile Run linter pluginLinter failed 10% building 0/1 entries 0/0 dependencies 0/0 modulesLinter failed", but it didn't throw an actual error. And at the end, I have the two errors, "Error: Improper use of @localizable attribute". At the very end, it says webpack 5.88.2 compiled with 2 errors in 364782 ms. I figured if it says "Compiled", I would try to load my pages.

At this point, it’s important to note a few additional things. Prior to running the build command on the frontend sources, I had switched a few of the standard screens to the new UI and they were working fine.
One of those screens was the GL203000 Subaccounts screen. I also copied the TypeScript and HTML files from this screen and modified them to create frontend files for a simple custom maintenance screen based on a custom table, DAC, and graph. Very routine stuff - nothing fancy.

step 8
  1. The site loads fine, as well as any pages that use the classic UI. Pages that use the modern UI throw a variety of error messages. 
    I'm assuming these errors mean the build wasn't successful since these screens worked prior to running the build command. I just don't know where to go from here.
    Has anyone else run into any of this and found a way forward?
step 9
step 9
step 9

1. I decided to check if the issue might be related to my custom screen, so I ran the build command targeting only my custom screen and to my surprise, it compiled successfully, though there were still some deprecation warnings. I then successfully published the customization containing the dll and frontend sources files for the custom screen.
step 10

1. When I navigate to my custom page I still get the exact same error that I get on the similar standard "Subaccounts" screen that I had switched to the new UI. "Value cannot be null. Parameter name: schema" 
    Then each time I click the "refresh" button, the error pops up, "Error: The view doesn't exist". I don't like getting the error, but I'm pleased to see that it's the exact same error thrown by the Subaccounts screen, which might mean that my custom screen will work once I get the other issue fixed, whatever it might be...…
step 11

1. I also went back and specifically targeted the Subaccounts screen to build the frontend source code and it compiled successfully. However, even after resetting the caches and restarting the application, the same errors persisted.
step 12

Does anyone have any ideas or direction they can give me?
Or am I sunk and need to install a new instance?

9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

For Preview 2, you need to run npm run getmodules in the FrontendSources folder before building.
You can find the documentation for 2024 R2 for the modern UI in your instance documentation (if you click the question mark at the top of the page and click the Acumatica Educational Resources link). You can find there similar documentation as you see on help.acumatica.com but it is mostly updated for 2024 R2.

Userlevel 4
Badge

@kpopova I followed the Acumatica documentation and it actually shows to run 

npm install

which I did. 
This is also the command shown when I follow your instructions for the instance documentation.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

this screenshot is from the documentation for 2024 R1, and you need the one for 2024 R2, which you can find only in your instance now.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Update: 
The issue was due to the version of TypeScript I was using and the deprecations mentioned below.
I changed my TypeScript version to 4.7.4 and now the out-of-the box screens load and my custom screen has a different error. 
I’m making progress.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Probably you use Preview 1, where the documentation may have not been updated. Try Preview 2.

You need to run npm run getmodules in the FrontendSources folder for 2024 R2.

Userlevel 4
Badge

@kpopova The documentation for the 2024R2 Preview still has the npm install command.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Attempting to run 

npm run getmodules

throws an error

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

You should run it in the FrontendSources folder.

Preview 2 has build number 24.192.0102.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Update: 
The issue was due to the version of TypeScript I was using and the deprecations mentioned below.
I changed my TypeScript version to 4.7.4 and now the out-of-the box screens load and my custom screen has a different error. 
I’m making progress.

I had copied some code for the custom screen and accidentally made the DAC name different from the db table name. I fixed that and now my custom screen is working!