Question

Quantity >1 for Serialized Items

• 9 February 2024
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

We have a complex problem that I’m looking for creative solutions for.  We have many serialized items and many of those are part of kits.  But kit or no kit, it appears that you cannot have a quantity >1 on a Sales Order if the item is serialized as there is only one Serial# field for that row.  So I kind of understand why, but for an end user to sell 50 items, they have to enter that item 50 times in the sales order.  That is grossly inefficient.  It is also not customer friendly as we assume it will also show 50 rows on the invoice to the customer instead of just Qty 50.

Add in the kit issue (and yes, we do have Kit Exploder from BizTech) and it makes it an even bigger problem for us. 

I find it hard to believe we are the only company with this scenario/issue so just hoping to brainstorm some possible solutions or even work-arounds.  Thanks!!

6 replies

Badge +18

Hello @cpesola ,

I did a quick test and I’m able to order qty 44 of a serialized item on one line of a Sales Order. There is an option to assign Serial Numbers with Line Details button on the Sales Order. In this test I assigned 4 serial numbers on the Order and proceeded to create the Shipment .

On the Shipment I clicked on the line showing 40 Remaining to ship and then clicked Line Details. It was just a few clicks to have the system generate 40 serial numbers at the same time (sequential, in this case).

In Line Details, enter Qty, confirm the starting serial number, click OK and ACM generates the Ser #’s.

Version 2022 R2, Acumatica Sales Demo tenant shown above. -- Is this helpful? If I’m over-simplifying, can you provide more info about how the item serial numbers look, what you see in your screen with your configurations and items, please? Thank you.

Laura

Userlevel 3
Badge

Interesting, Thank you @Laura02 .

We are on 2023 R2.  That Line Detail might do the trick for non-kit items.  Thank you.  

Our serial numbers are set to be auto-assigned at allocation, not sure if this will conflict with that, but it’s worth a test.

For kits, we use Kit Exploder from BizTech, so this is maybe an issue with their product.  When you place a kit on the Sales Order, it automatically expands the kit into the items of that kit.  But if one of those items is serialized, it cuts the qty to 1, keeps the original quantity for non-serial items, and gives an error that you cannot change the qty for that item.

Error when exploding kits with serialized items

Badge +18

Hi,

I’m not familiar with Kit Exploder.  I think the next step is to check in with BizTech to either confirm or rule out Kit Exploder as the source of the above error.

Laura

Userlevel 3
Badge

Realized now that there is more to this story.  This is not necessarily a serialization issue, it is specific to tracked Equipment via the service module. The commonality is that our tracked equipment is also typically serialized.  We can not assign equipment IDs more than one at a time.  And again, it’s often that we get someone buying 10, 20, 30 pieces of equipment and we need to track those for service and warranty purposes, so we have to assign the equipment ID to them one at a time.  This is not necessarily a kit issue either, but kits make it even more complicated and slow.

Does anyone else track equipment via the service module and sell high quantities of the same equipment purchased on one sales order?  If so, how do you do it?

Userlevel 7
Badge

Hi @cpesola were you able to find a solution? Thank you!

Userlevel 3
Badge

No, @Chris Hackett - we are in a better place than before, but not 100% how we think it should work.  We turned off the option to create the equipment at sales order, instead we run a job at end of day that goes through and assigns equipment records to that equipment so it can be serviced in the future.  We also have a little short cut for making it a tiny bit faster- high quantities of kits only have one piece of equipment that needs to be tracked, so we can enter in 30 kits, allow them to explode into their detail lines, but then have to enter just that piece of equipment 29 more times to assign the serial #.  So it’s better, just not perfect. 

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved