Skip to main content
Solved

Generic Inquiry for dashboard but not usable by end user

• 15 April 2024
  • 4 replies

Hey, So I am creating a dashboard for individual sales representatives at the company and we need to have them able to view key performance indicators but would like to not allow them to view this data for sales reps other than themselves. Is there a way to use a GI for the widget without them being allowed to go to the GI and access the data of the other users?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @BrendanL ,

You could add a condition to the GI to limit the results based on the current user by using the special @me filter value.  Each user’s dashboard would show their own results and they could drill into the GI to see the records. 

Hope this helps!

Laura

Userlevel 1
Badge

Is there an alternate solution to this problem for GI’s that do not have user specific fields to use as a basis of restriction? I’m hoping to avoid the business need of creating multiple copies of my GI where the restrictions for conditions are hard set. Would much prefer to add a condition to the Dashboard(s) and disable user customization and drilldown.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Is there an alternate solution to this problem for GI’s that do not have user specific fields to use as a basis of restriction? I’m hoping to avoid the business need of creating multiple copies of my GI where the restrictions for conditions are hard set. Would much prefer to add a condition to the Dashboard(s) and disable user customization and drilldown.

@rconandrewl sadly from the searching I have done on this it seems in order to have that dashboard able to show a result the user must be able to see the GI, there might be some customizations you can do to make a restriction that doesn’t necessitate those hard restrictions.

basically the solution for us was simply to have a “Managers” and “Users” GI which are exact copies with the Managers having the normal one and the Users having one with the built in restriction, you can use the copy tool in the GI editor to quickly create an exact copy of whichever GI you are using then give it the Condition and a prefix on the GI name to easily Differentiate them.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@rconandrewl sadly from the searching I have done on this it seems in order to have that dashboard able to show a result the user must be able to see the GI, there might be some customizations you can do to make a restriction that doesn’t necessitate those hard restrictions.

basically the solution for us was simply to have a “Managers” and “Users” GI which are exact copies with the Managers having the normal one and the Users having one with the built in restriction, you can use the copy tool in the GI editor to quickly create an exact copy of whichever GI you are using then give it the Condition and a prefix on the GI name to easily Differentiate them.

@BrendanL Yeah, we’ve looked at making copies, but unfortunately some of the GIs would require more than 2 tables and would be a bit clunky. The next closest idea I had was to add a Hidden Parameter to the GI that is entered through the Dashboard Widget Parameter. Unfortunately, even if you restrict parameter modifications for a screen users can bypass the restriction by manually adjusting the parameter value in the URL (a separate security nightmare) after drilling down to the GI table .