Solved

How to allocate project transactions multiple time?

• 15 February 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

I have a client with the following requirement:

When they process a proforma invoice there can be a delay of 2 to 3 weeks before the customer agrees on what they are going to accept on the bill, and they can process the AR bill, which may be over a period end. They want to be able to record a type of WIP entry, debit WIP and credit Accrued Revenue, for the value of the Proforma invoice so that the revenue is recognised in the period in which the proforma invoice is raised.

I have looked at how this could be achieved and cannot see how to achieve this. The Allocation Rules essentially cover the posting of WIP when project transactions are created and are then reversed when the when the AR bill is generated/released.

I tried to create two tasks:
On one task, I create an allocation rule to allocate Cost to WIP.
On the second task, I created an allocation rule to allocate WIP to Unbilled/Accrued Revenue, and Billing Rule to select from Unbilled Revenue and post to Revenue.

But it seems that when I run allocation once, it works fine. when I ran allocation the second time to move from WIP to Unbilled, no allocation transaction is generated.

How can we allocate project transactions multiple times, or is there any cleaner way to achieve the above scenario?

icon

Best answer by Laura02 15 February 2022, 17:03

View original

4 replies

Badge +18

There is an option on the second tab of Allocation Rules, “Can be used as source in another transaction.” Do  you have this option checked ON?  I expect with this option checked on, the same transaction just allocated can be re-allocated using a different allocation method, later.

Userlevel 1

Hi @laura01 , yes, I did tick that option. when I tried to run the allocation the second time, the system says “no allocation transaction is created”.

I’m not sure if that tick allows reusing the allocation transaction within the same rule (just different steps), or that allocation transaction can then be used for another allocation rule. How do you normally use that tick?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@leonchau80  Allocation rules can be pretty complicated.  Please feel free to reach out to me to discuss different options heidi.dempsey@acumatica.com

Userlevel 7
Badge

Hi @leonchau80 were you able to figure this one out? Thank you!

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved