Skip to main content
Solved

Better ways to update percent complete on project tasks?

• 12 July 2024
  • 7 replies

I find it cumbersome to have to open each project and update the % complete on each task, then move to the next project, so I want to make sure that I am not missing something obvious.  Questions:

1. Is there a way for the system to automatically calculate and update % complete based on actual costs/budgeted costs?   Most project accounting systems seem to have that feature out of the box.
  2. Is there a way to update % complete for multiple projects/tasks at a time?  Perhaps via some sort of importing function?

Thanks in advance!

7 replies

Badge +18

Hello @jlian37 ,

One idea is to create a Generic Inquiry that calculates % complete based on actual and budgeted costs, then use the new Generic Inquiry to import % Complete updates to the projects.

Did you notice these instructions for mass updating records using a Generic Inquiry?

Laura

Userlevel 2
Badge

Great idea, although not as automatic as they like.  I shall try the mass update with GI approach.  

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Laura02 I do have a couple of questions when trying out your suggestion:

1. Mass Updating records with GI - Looks like it will only allow you to update a bunch of records to the same static value.   In this case, I need to update each project/task to a different percent.  So I am not sure how it would help…
  2. You mentioned “use the new Generic Inquiry to import % Complete updates to the projects”, is that the same as Mass Updating with GI?  Or is that another function?

Thanks again.

Badge +18

Hello @jlian37 ,

I agree, Mass Updating won’t work well for % complete if every line must be updated to the same new value.

Import Scenarios are a separate function from Generic Inquiry. Generic Inquiries pull information out of Acumatica tables, and Import Scenarios import information TO Acumatica.

We can import from many different sources, including Excel (most common in my experience), CSV, and even  a Generic Inquiry may be the source for an import.

As a start, you may like to view this Acumatica Training Course.

Laura

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks. I will try that out.   I am familiar with importing functions in various Acumatica screens, but this obviously requires some sort of customization...

Badge +18

Hi John,

It’s not a customization, to import.  I don’t do any customizations, and I can import with Scenarios. (If I can do it, you can do it!)

Acumatica offers two ways to import.  Load from file button inside a data entry screen is easiest but also limited to one document, batch or project at a time:

Import scenarios will help you update many Projects “In one go”. 

Laura

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks Laura.   I don’t mind customizations and dev work as long as it’s not too painful… :)

I did find “import scenarios” and will review the integration course material and videos and try to figure it out.   Looks like it should work.  Thanks again for pointing the way!

BTW, I did forget to ask the more important question related to this % complete stuff - Is there a way to recognize revenue based on the % complete * revenue budget, without actually generating a bill?