Solved

Add Project Item button NOT helpful.

• 24 January 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

When creating a Drop Ship type PO, the Add Project Item does not populate the selected product with the Orginal Budgeted Quantity and Unit Rate from the Cost Budget. 

As you can see, I have selected the line item which has Original Budgeted Quantity of 41.

When I click add and close this is the result:

T

My expected behavior for this button is for the order QTY to be populated by Original Budgeted Quantity and Unit Cost to be populated by Unit Rate from the project cost budget.

As is, I must download the cost budget and chop up the excel to what I want on the PO and then upload, eliminating the purpose of the button, not to mention being a tedious, clunky process.

If I use it, I must hand enter the order quantity and cost for every line, copying by visual reference from another tab. This is tedious, cumbersome and introduces opportunity for mistakes.

icon

Best answer by Heidi Dempsey 25 January 2023, 21:56

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@DaveColeman  Thanks for the comment.  This button Add Project Item, allows you to see the items that are on the project budget instead of all items in the system, to make entry easier by bringing in the Inventory ID, and description,  Similar to the Project Codes option when entering cost codes This is standard behavior in Acumatica to pull the unit cost from the item itself and since it is a new PO I can see why it would default to 0 quantity.  I do also understand your point of you would like it to pull from the budget and that would be a good comment for the Ideas section of the Community to change functionality.

Knowing that this does not pull from the budget, as a work around and to relieve the copying portion,  you do have the option to Load Record from File, so if you have your budget exported, you can quickly modify which lines apply to the PO and upload to PO grid which will include the cost and quantity. 

Userlevel 1

Hello, 

Thanks for your response. I would like to respond to each line of reasoning:

When ordering a unit for a project- often there is no last cost in the system, or it is an old, inaccurate cost.  For the project budget, the estimators have already retrieved the current cost, or there is a project specific cost for the item. Pulling the system cost is almost guaranteed to not align with the projected or project specific cost, so you would have to refer back to the cost budget to correct this in the PO. The price in the Project cost budget should be reflected by default in the Project Specific PO. 

As for quantities: The assumption that you would want the quantity to be 0 just because it is a new PO does not make sense to me. Most of the time, I want to order the full quantity from the cost budget from a vendor, and even if I don’t this should be my decision

To be even more user friendly, you could make the “add project item” button have the option to pull 0 (as a precaution? Why 0?), or pull the projected Quantity, or (in case you already did order and receive something from that line) it could pull the projected quantity MINUS the actual quantity column... 

All that to say- the button right now is useless for bringing over the information I need from the cost budget in a single step. It requires multiple steps to figure out my quantities, and job specific prices. 

I dont see the download/upload as a solution, but as a workaround. This function of purchase orders needs to be fleshed out.

Just like the Create Purchase Order button from the Projects-->Commitments tab. The behavior I would expect, if I am in a specific project, would be for that button to create a Project Drop Ship purchase order with that project and customer already filled out. (I would also expect it to automatically go to the Select Project Items pop-up at the same time, but that's beside the point). As is, it makes a “Normal” type PO that has nothing to do with the project I was just in. Why even bother with that Create Purchase Order button then?

I keep hearing this, instead of justifying bad behavior with no good explanation besides “that’s how it is” why can’t I hear “OK what you are saying makes sense, maybe we can change that”? I don’t want workarounds. I want solutions. Thats why I bought this ERP.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@DaveColeman  I do understand what you are wanting.  I explained how the system works today to let you know there is not a set up issue and that this is not a bug.   I do see value in your suggestion and noticed you added this to the Ideas section and I voted on this.  The main ways developers get visibility into what customers are needing is the Ideas section and by escalated cases (bugs).  Developers from every department review the Ideas section of the Community weekly so thank you for adding this.  Please let other know to go vote on it.

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved