Question

Virtual warehouse / inventory for drop shipping

• 28 September 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Does anyone know if it’s possible to have a virtual warehouse/inventory in Acumatica? We receive inventory files from vendors and it would be great to be able to “receive” that inventory into a virtual warehouse so our salespeople can see available quantities from the vendor. In theory we could then also sync that inventory to Shopify so we can prevent overselling on drop ship inventory.

If it’s not currently possible in native Acumatica, are there any 3rd party solutions? Or ideas for workarounds?

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@mikeho , I haven’t found a way to do this.  The closest I could get was to create an attribute for each product, for each virtual warehouse, and have visibility that way.  The connector to Shopify will need to be modified to pick up those numbers and push them to Shopify.

The issue with standard Acumatica warehouses is that you can’t easily update data in those warehouses.  Say, your vendor sends you a new file where some items are completely depleted, on some, the inventory went down, on some - it went up…  The only way you can change inventory in that warehouse in Acumatica is through 1) adjustments; 2) receipts (you can use negative receipt to adjust inventory).

In addition, this inventory is on your books. Of course, you can receive it at $0.00 cost, but then when you sell one of these items, you will need to employ a custom processing workflow in Acumatica (possibly, to change warehouse from your virtual, to a real warehouse, do a drop-ship order, etc.) so that the cost accounting would kick in correctly.

I know it’s not an answer to your problem, but something you should be thinking about when you’re working on a workaround.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Thank you, @Yuri Karpenko. Yes, the financial impacts are definitely important to us (and why I was hoping there might be some sort 3rd party option or a good workaround).

I’ve thought about the attribute route but I can’t see how we would go about depreciating the # in that attribute field when purchases are made in Shopify. I’m also not a fan of customizing the connector in general as - in my experience - that can be problematic, but it sounds like that might be the only way to go about this.

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved