Question

Report Designer Version Control

• 29 April 2024
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

How are you all doing version control on your report designer files.  I also am trying to solution a change log.  I was thinking Github may be a candidate for this.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @travislawson ,

I typically keep the versions in Acumatica with a short description.  As well, I find that it is useful to save the rpx files externally as a backup, both the original and the modified versions.  I have not done so, but imagine that this could be done in a Github project.

A challenge that I have run into is when Acumatica makes a breaking change that affects a customized report.  One can always revert to the standard report, however changes need to be reapplied.  An example of this is the Inventory Balance Report (IN615000).  There were some significant breaking DAC changes in 2023 R2 that affected this report.  Customized versions of this report do not work after the update and have to be recreated.  Or the customized version has to be adjusted to account for the DAC changes.

It would be great to have a way to keep track of and reapply changes.

Laura

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @travislawson ,

I typically keep the versions in Acumatica with a short description.  ….

Yes!  I do the same thing.  I did add a textbox that’s not visible with a change log in the file so future modifiers can see it.  I did have the issue with the DAC changes breaking some reports also on the upgrade.  I’m doing my best not to modify them much from the “factory” due to this breakage. 

Certainly needs to be a different way.  I’m not a developer but Github seemed like a reasonable idea once I figure out how to use it.

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved