Question

Report Designer - how to hide a field and not have the space for that field still show on the report

• 14 March 2024
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I have a Warranties section of a quote report that has static information on every quote. The customer also wants to be able to customize each section with additional information.

I created attributes that allow the user to enter custom verbiage and I’ve added the attributes to the report:

I also created a visible expression for those fields, as I don’t want them to print if the user hasn’t entered any text in those fields.

The issue is that the space for those fields still prints (even with the visible expression).

If you put a visible expression on the whole group, it won’t print and it won’t leave a space for the group. But I really don’t want to have to split each little section out to it’s own group.

Is there a way to do what I’m asking?

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

I see you have the Layout field set to “Can Grow”. Can you make the size of the box smaller in the report designer, so that if there’s no text it takes up very little space but if there is more text it grows to fit?

I’m not sure if that would work or not but it might be worth a try.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Another option is to add multiple detail sections to your group footer. This way you can set the visibility for the detail section containing the custom verbiage.

To add detail sections, open the report file in notepad, or similar program that lays out code in an easier to read format than notepad. Then add as many detail sections in the group footer as you need. Then save and open again in Report Designer. 

Highlighted section added to blank report to create two extra detail sections in the group footer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@donnadeskins55 For this issue it seems like somehow the expression is neither NULL or empty, maybe you want to check the Len() of the field and see if it returns a specific value for this and then specify that value in the visibility expression?

Seems like something must be populating in there

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@BenjaminCrisman, I’m not sure I understand what you mean by checking the length and including that in the visible expression.

What would that look like?

Thanks!

Userlevel 1

@donnadeskins55 , I’ve done this with our proposal template and did it with visible statements on different sections (screenshot below).  To speak to @BenjaminCrisman’s point, you can put the following as your visible expression

=len([CROpportunity.QUOTEEXCL_Attributes])>0

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved