Tooling Maintenance Tracking

• 18 April 2024
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3

Tool Maintenance Tracking

Do you need to track tool maintenance?  And I do mean Tool Maintenance not Machine maintenance, that is a different animal.  I spent years working at a stamping manufacturer where tool maintenance was always a challenge.  In my case, I am talking about sharpening a tooling die set.  The tools were usually built for a certain life span – so many parts or hits before they needed to be sharpened or replaced.  The type of steel and whether inserts were used in the tool, what material you were stamping, size and type of press were all factors.

The problem:

Sharpening the die takes time and cost money.  It’s a hidden cost, while expected it was usually not well managed.  To make matters worse, if the customer ordered more parts, we had no idea how much life was left in the tool without physically inspecting the tool, and we had thousands of tools. So, we would take the order and absorb the unexpected costs and delays.

The solution:

I came up with a method of at least attempting to track the life of the tool by tracking the “hits” without adding extra work to the shop floor.

I created a stock item that represented the tool, used some user defined/attribute fields to store expect hits and last time sharpened.  I made sure the item had no costs.  I adjusted in to inventory the expected hits, added the item to the BOM’s they were used on and set it to Backflush. 

When production reported quantities to the stamping press operation, the bogus tool “hits” were issued to the production order.  As the on-hand inventory went down we had a relatively good idea of the number of hits left for the tool. 

I created a few reports and queries to track these tools and added a few more UDF’s for more tooling details.  A week before a tool was scheduled to run, we could see which tools might need some sharpening, and we would pull them out early for inspection.  This helped prevent delays in starting production.  And if the customer ordered more parts, we would be in a much better position to make a case to charge them for the sharpening.

I attached a doc to describe in more detail how I set this up in Acumatica.

Is it a perfect solution?  No, but for many manufacturers this does enough of what they are looking for to help prevent production delays and losing money by not tracking tool sharpening needs for repeat orders.

6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@pauldubuque13,

Great Solution & thank you for sharing!👍

Userlevel 7
Badge

Thank you for sharing this tip with the community @pauldubuque13!

Userlevel 3
Badge

I really like this solution, I have similar need for something like this for Tools. However, for our tools we may have 5 sitting on the shelf (all the same), we might us 1 during a Manufacturing run, and then it goes back on the shelf. I might be missing a key feature of Acumatica but how do you take that one and throw it back into stock time and time again? 

I see your solution uses the Tool as a Material, right now we are looking at the Tool function within the BOM but it doesn’t provide the flexible that this solution of yours would. But the challenge would be we want this to be shown we are using one of the tools during a run, but allow it to back to the shelf without consuming the Tool. I thought about non-stock items but I don’t t know if the full flexibility and functionality would be there. 

Hopefully that makes sense, any thoughts on how this could be achieved with your solution? Thank you again, this is great! 

Userlevel 3

@ngerst my solution was to solve the unexpected costs and time delays because of tool sharpening. 

Are you looking to manage reusable tools in a tool crib?  Where you issue 1 to a production order and then put it back in the tool crib when production is complete? 

Userlevel 3
Badge

@ngerst my solution was to solve the unexpected costs and time delays because of tool sharpening. 

Are you looking to manage reusable tools in a tool crib?  Where you issue 1 to a production order and then put it back in the tool crib when production is complete? 

Yes that would be the one hurdle that we haven’t figured out the best way to handle it. 

Userlevel 3

@ngerst If I were to try to solve this in Acumatica:

• I would create a Stock Item for each tool. 
  • When you purchase the tool (or make the tool) receive it into your Tool Crib. 
  • Then add the tool to the BOM as a Material.  However, if you only need 1 tool for a production run and it’s not based on the qty, you will want to set the “BATCH SIZE” on the Material tab, set the Batch Size to 0 (zero).  A Batch Size of 0, says the qty required is fixed and not dependent on the qty being produced.  This column is often a hidden and is set to 1 by default.
  • When the Production Order is created and released, issue the 1 tool to the production order.
  • When you have finished production do an Issue-Return to return the tool back to the tool crib.  To do this you enter a negative issue qty for the tool to the production orderThis puts the item back in stock

The key points are changing the Batch Size to 0 and performing the Issue-Return  (negative issue).

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved