Solved

Advanced Planning and Scheduling : Threaded Scheduling?

• 23 August 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

We’re working through our implementation of the Advanced Planning and Scheduling module. We’ve successfully setup a few BoMs, Machines, Calendars, etc AND have managed to schedule test orders with predictable results. several wins all around BUT there’s something we might be missing…

Threaded Scheduling ( I made that name up )

When scheduling a large order where individual Operations span multiple days we’ve noticed that it’s all scheduled logically as one long plan, not ideal for our environment.

Let’s try this scenario...

Assumptions : Operation 1 references a Work Center that resides in Warehouse A. Operation 2 references a Work Center that resides in Warehouse A, though we may opt to move Operation 2 into a different Warehouse within the same building.

Scenario : We need to make 100 widgets and the BoM has two Operations. Operation 1 takes five days to complete and each day it completes 20 widgets. Operation 2 takes five days to complete and each day it completes 20 widgets.

Observation : At this moment, Acumatica will schedule 10 distinct calendar days of production. What’s curious is that the system doesn’t seem to allocate a number of units to any part of the schedule but rather time and only time. I hope I’m wrong...

Desire / Goal : Operation 2 should be able to start on the second day of Operation 1 since 20 widgets have been completed by Operation 1 do the total number of days, in this model, would be 6.

Questions : 

• Can we get Acumatica to do this?
  • If so then maybe someone can point us in the right direction?
  • Is there something to my inability to find widgets being associated with the schedule, is it a me thing or am I seeing things correctly?
    • Please appreciate that the above mentioned “Goal” is what we’re used to, a system that calculates the time, schedules according and can associates a number of widget to the schedule record. 

What we haven’t yet tested…

Does it make a difference if the Operations reference Work Centers that are in the same or different warehouses.

Thoughts and ideas of all sorts are welcome.

Thank-you! ;-)

icon

Best answer by angierowley75 24 August 2023, 15:50

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

@angierowley75 thank you very much for your response… yes, I’ve up-voted support for parallel scheduling!

We have a few different scheduling models we leverage, guess my next magic trick will be to see how I can make this work, despite.

;-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

APS does not yet support overlapping operations at this time.  There is an existing enhancement request - please add your vote and Use Case

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved