Question

Apply Customer Overpayments

• 13 December 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I am having several issues when applying customer payments as they come in.

One issue is where a customer might issue us a check for $50.00 more than the invoice was created/open for. I cannot apply the $50.00 overpayment as I get the error stating the payment must be less than the balance.

Customer mistakes like this are extremely common. How can I receive the check in and keep my customer’s balance correct (I should show them a $50.00 “credit” for the overpayment when all is said and done)

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I think I have this resolved.

I did not realize you could leave an amount pending in the Available Balance section.

Once I leave it and save and release the payment, the “payment” credit appears on the customer’s statement.

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

HI @trenton78 

Do you need to keep the balance for the customer? Are you applying it to future amounts?

Look into this thread also:

https://community.acumatica.com/financial-management-123/how-to-recognize-an-overpaid-amount-in-a-customer-payment-document-as-an-income-without-keeping-the-payment-open-or-applying-the-payment-to-other-open-invoices-10526

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Yes, however, I was hoping there would be a way to have the credit/overpayment showing against the invoice they overpaid.

That way the customer’s records and my records match. Is there a setting I can turn off that will allow me to enter a payment against an invoice that is greater than the invoice amount?

There is no setting in the Accounts Receivable that I could find to turn off. It should be standard Acumatica to allow you to apply the overpayment. Can you share the error you are getting in a screenshot? Also, do you have any customizations that may affect any of these screens?

I tested it locally and got the same results as @laura01 . The only issue that I see is that the customer will retain a credit. The payment will also not close until you apply another invoice to it. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Below is my payment screen as I try to apply $2,004.18 to an invoice that only has a balance of $668.06.

The error associated with the Red X reads “Incorrect value. The Value to be entered must b less than or equal to 668.0600”

Badge +18

Hello,

When a payment is larger than the invoice it’s paying, the invoice balance becomes $0 and the payment balance stays with the Payment, on the Customer’s record.  Here is an example where the customer paid $10,000 more than the invoice balance:

You asked, “ How can I receive the check in and keep my customer’s balance correct (I should show them a $50.00 “credit” for the overpayment when all is said and done) “

The above customer’s balance correctly shows their over-payment.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yes, however, I was hoping there would be a way to have the credit/overpayment showing against the invoice they overpaid.

That way the customer’s records and my records match. Is there a setting I can turn off that will allow me to enter a payment against an invoice that is greater than the invoice amount?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @trenton78 

Have you looked at this thread?

https://community.acumatica.com/financials-7/customer-overpayment-into-credit-memo-11106

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved