Question

Apply Customer Overpayments

• 13 December 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I am having several issues when applying customer payments as they come in.

One issue is where a customer might issue us a check for $50.00 more than the invoice was created/open for. I cannot apply the $50.00 overpayment as I get the error stating the payment must be less than the balance.

Customer mistakes like this are extremely common. How can I receive the check in and keep my customer’s balance correct (I should show them a $50.00 “credit” for the overpayment when all is said and done)

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @trenton78 

Have you looked at this thread?

https://community.acumatica.com/financials-7/customer-overpayment-into-credit-memo-11106

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yes, however, I was hoping there would be a way to have the credit/overpayment showing against the invoice they overpaid.

That way the customer’s records and my records match. Is there a setting I can turn off that will allow me to enter a payment against an invoice that is greater than the invoice amount?

Badge +18

Hello,

When a payment is larger than the invoice it’s paying, the invoice balance becomes $0 and the payment balance stays with the Payment, on the Customer’s record.  Here is an example where the customer paid $10,000 more than the invoice balance:

You asked, “ How can I receive the check in and keep my customer’s balance correct (I should show them a $50.00 “credit” for the overpayment when all is said and done) “

The above customer’s balance correctly shows their over-payment.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Below is my payment screen as I try to apply $2,004.18 to an invoice that only has a balance of $668.06.

The error associated with the Red X reads “Incorrect value. The Value to be entered must b less than or equal to 668.0600”

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Yes, however, I was hoping there would be a way to have the credit/overpayment showing against the invoice they overpaid.

That way the customer’s records and my records match. Is there a setting I can turn off that will allow me to enter a payment against an invoice that is greater than the invoice amount?

There is no setting in the Accounts Receivable that I could find to turn off. It should be standard Acumatica to allow you to apply the overpayment. Can you share the error you are getting in a screenshot? Also, do you have any customizations that may affect any of these screens?

I tested it locally and got the same results as @laura01 . The only issue that I see is that the customer will retain a credit. The payment will also not close until you apply another invoice to it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

HI @trenton78 

Do you need to keep the balance for the customer? Are you applying it to future amounts?

Look into this thread also:

https://community.acumatica.com/financial-management-123/how-to-recognize-an-overpaid-amount-in-a-customer-payment-document-as-an-income-without-keeping-the-payment-open-or-applying-the-payment-to-other-open-invoices-10526

Userlevel 2
Badge

I think I have this resolved.

I did not realize you could leave an amount pending in the Available Balance section.

Once I leave it and save and release the payment, the “payment” credit appears on the customer’s statement.

Thank you!

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved