Solved

Security - new restrictive role is affecting other users

• 5 October 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

I created a new restrictive role that has very limited access to a few screens.

Now other users who do not have this role see less in their menus.

I have seen this before.

I believe it may be possible that items that are “NOT SET” may be lost on these other users when I created the new restrictive role.

Does anyone have a way to have my new role not affect any users who are not assigned to it?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Laura02 5 October 2022, 01:06

View original

3 replies

Badge +18

Hello, when a screen has ‘Not Set’ for all roles, it’s wide open Everyone can see it. 

Once we change any role to something besides not set, the Not Set roles can no longer see the screen.

One thing we can do is make sure all new inquiries and reports that we add are assigned proper roles versus leaving all roles at Not Set.

Another thing we can do is make sure all users have proper roles assigned that align with their positions and responsibilities. For example, if a person works in po and ap and needs to approve time, we place them in multiple roles and we test to make sure they have what they need.   

If many changes are needed to roles, I always test the changes in a test copy of the tenant then repeat in production after, with screens side by side. I log in as the users in question to make sure they have what they need. Hope this helps you.

Badge +18

I thought of one more ‘best practice’ that I didn’t include last night: When changing roles, I like to work with a copy of the original roles. Then if I make a mistake… It’s easy to place the users back into their original roles, while I work out the details of their new roles.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Laura,

Thanks for confirming.  Unfortunately, Acumatica’s standard roles have many needed items at the “not Set” level.  So if you create a new role like I did with extensive restrictions, you have to revisit the existing roles and change “not set” to full access on all the individual items.

Again, thanks for confirming how I will be spending my day!

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved