Solved

Workflow customization Questions before beginning

• 25 January 2024
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Good morning,
We would possibly like to add some intermediate steps/transitions to those "out of the box" of the workflow of the Appointment FS300200 form(For the moment I was using attributes, but we are starting to reach the end of what the attribute can do ).

Having never played with workflows, I listened to several tutorials and did some reading. Before to jump I have somes questions :

1. Do you have any pros and cons for editing workflows?
  2. Should I avoid getting into workflows?
  3. Do you have any Do’s and Don’t’s do for workflows customization?
  4. Considering that I am adding intermediate steps, am I correct in thinking that this will not have an impact on "closely related" workflows such as the "Service Order"?
  5. Something that escapes me, can we assign a workflow for a service order type? If yes, how?

THANKS! 😎

icon

Best answer by darylbowman 25 January 2024, 18:10

View original

2 replies

Badge +11

I’ve worked extensively with workflows on several screens, although never with that one.

1. Do you have any pros and cons for editing workflows?

Pro: Workflow is becoming more and more engrained in the product. Learning it opens doors.

Con: Workflow is complex

1. Should I avoid getting into workflows?

Workflow is very technical; avoid if technical is not your color 

1. Do you have any Do’s and Don’t’s do for workflows customization?

Workflow customizations DO NOT play well with others. You can really only have one workflow customization per screen. If you have integrations with workflow customizations for that screen, you’ll get conflicts. (It’s an extreme frustration of mine: How can I make changes to the same workflow in multiple packages?)

1. Considering that I am adding intermediate steps, am I correct in thinking that this will not have an impact on "closely related" workflows such as the "Service Order"?

Having no experience here, I can only suggest you try a basic change and test the result. 

1. Something that escapes me, can we assign a workflow for a service order type? If yes, how?

Again, having no experience, without trying it, I can’t say for sure, but with Case Workflow (which I’ve customized extensively), you can have different workflows for different Case Classes by specifying a Workflow ‘Type Identifier’. In 23 R2, you can also have a ‘Subtype Identifier’ which is a new find for me.

Good luck!

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Good morning!

It's great that you're looking to customize the workflow in Acumatica to better fit your business processes. Customizing workflows can indeed be powerful, but it's also important to approach it with a clear understanding of best practices and potential pitfalls. Here are some insights regarding your questions:

Pros and Cons of Editing Workflows:

Pros:

1. Tailored Processes: Custom workflows allow you to tailor the system to match your unique business processes closely.
  2. Improved Efficiency: By adding intermediate steps, you can ensure that the system guides users through the necessary procedures, reducing errors and improving efficiency.
  3. Control and Visibility: Custom workflows can provide better control over business processes and improve visibility into the status of various tasks.

Cons:

1. Complexity: Customizing workflows adds complexity to your system. It might require additional maintenance and can make upgrades more challenging.
  2. Dependency: Over-customization can lead to a heavy dependency on specific workflows, which might be problematic if business processes change.
  3. Resource Intensive: Developing and maintaining custom workflows may require more time and resources, especially if you lack in-house expertise.

Should You Avoid Getting into Workflows?

Not necessarily. If the out-of-the-box functionality doesn't meet your business requirements, customizing workflows can be very beneficial. However, it's essential to evaluate the cost-benefit ratio and ensure you have the necessary resources and expertise.

Do’s and Don’t’s for Workflow Customization:

Do's:

1. Understand the Base Workflow: Ensure you thoroughly understand the existing workflow before making changes.
  2. Document Changes: Keep detailed documentation of any changes you make for future reference and troubleshooting.
  3. Test Extensively: Test your custom workflows in a test environment before deploying them to production.
  4. Keep it Simple: Aim for simplicity. The more complex the workflow, the harder it is to maintain and troubleshoot.

Don'ts:

1. Avoid Over-customization: Don't customize for the sake of customization. Ensure that each change adds real business value.
  2. Bypass Standard Features: Before customizing, ensure that the desired functionality cannot be achieved through standard features or settings.
  3. Ignore the Impact on Related Features: Be mindful of how changes in the workflow might affect other areas of the system.

Impact on Closely Related Workflows:

Adding intermediate steps to the Appointment (FS300200) form should not inherently impact the "Service Order" workflow, as long as the modifications are isolated to specific states or actions within the Appointment workflow. However, it’s crucial to consider the overall process flow, as changes in one area might logically necessitate adjustments in related workflows for consistency and data integrity.

Assigning Workflow to a Service Order Type:

Yes, you can assign specific workflows to different service order types in Acumatica. Here’s a broad overview of how you can do it:

1. Access the Workflow Screens: You can access the workflow screens from the customization project in Acumatica.
  2. Create a New Workflow: You can create a new workflow or copy and modify an existing one.
  3. Assign to Service Order Type: In the workflow settings, you can specify which service order type the workflow applies to. This way, different types of service orders can have tailored workflows.

Remember, while it’s empowering to have customized workflows, it’s crucial to maintain a balance and ensure that the customizations are manageable, well-documented, and truly aligned with your business needs. Good luck, and don't hesitate to reach out if you have more questions! 😎

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved