Solved

Upgrading the Customization Wizard

• 5 June 2023
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

I have upgraded my local instance of Acumatica to match our production version via the web interface of the instance.
Now, when I try to launch locally from the Configuration Wizard, I get an error 

To work with '[instance name]' instance, you should use newer version of the configuration wizard.

I have downloaded the version of the installer that I need. But, I do not see how to upgrade. 
Can anyone give me the steps to take? I don’t want to cause problems with my current Acumatica instance setup/installation?

icon

Best answer by Django 5 June 2023, 17:37

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The AcumaticaConfig.exe shoule be automatically installed so you might have multiple versions of it on your computer depending on how you have installed your local instance. I have 23 copies of it. :)

(As an aside Everything from Void Tools is amazing for finding files based on filename across all of your drives instantly. It’s one of my “must install” tools.)

Under your installation folder you’ll find the correct version of the AcumaticaConfig.exe that you want to run. e.g.:

"D:\ACM\21.203.0030CH\Acumatica ERP\Data\AcumaticaConfig.exe"

Userlevel 4
Badge

Thanks for the fast response!

I am assuming  AcumaticaConfig.exe is the configuration wizard, right?
I am not sure how to get multiple versions on my computer. When I run the .msi that I downloaded, the options are “Change”, “Repair”, “Remove”

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I used this blog post to install different instances of Acumatica when I set up en environment to do customer work.

https://www.acumatica.com/blog/setting-up-local-developer-instances-of-acumatica/

Userlevel 4
Badge

I read through that post. My current wizard installation is default - in “Program Files”
Am I safe to move  AcumaticaConfig.exe to a different location? (btw - thanks for the Everything tip!)
Then, I should be able to install other versions in different locations?

I attempted to move the wizard installer .msi to a different directory then run it - it still finds the current installation and doesn’t give me the option to install.

(Forgive my ignorance of things Windows-related. I am a long-me Linux guy. learning much)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I’m not sure that the physical location of the AC program file matters - it will be for a specific version of Acumatica, regardless of the instance of Acumatica that you have installed.

For installing Acumatica into a different location, you can install it using a command line (which, as a Linux user, should make you feel more at home ;)  ).

My command line looks like this (which I edit as required). I have a separate folder for each version of the msi file. Then, using the targetdir parameter, I can create a unique installation for the client/version that I’m working on (or upgrading to).

Installing Acumatica:
msiexec /a "D:\ACMInstalls\22.113.0040\AcumaticaERPInstall.msi" /qb targetdir="D:\ACM\XY-22R1-A"
Note: Make the target directory specific to a customer as required

I create a new SQL database for that version/customer combination and I also create a new Application Pool in IIS just to keep everything separated.

Badge +11

Just dropping in to say that the command above does not install the program. It simply extracts it. The benefit of this is that you can use the contents without installing, meaning there is no validation on how many versions you have. If you install, you can’t have more than one installed.

You could have one installed version and additional extracted versions, or simply skip installing all together.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Thanks so much!
After getting my slashes in the correct direction, and learning to double-click all the time, I think I got everything working.

I have learned a ton from this conversation - and there is still more I need to unpack. Sending much appreciation for your time and patience!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@darylbowman - just to confirm, the blog post says this:

The /qb switch invokes a quiet install with a basic interface so it will install a full instance Acumatica into the targetdir folder.

I think what you’re saying is that the Acumatica files are installed but until you run AcumaticaConfig.exe - all you have done is install the program and files.

Is that correct?

Badge +11

The wording is misleading at best. I imagine he meant that you can run a fully working configuration from that location, but there is nothing installed. It is simply extracted (source, and experience).

Check your installed programs. The only way ‘Acumatica ERP Configuration’ is listed is if the msi was installed.

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved