Solved

New to Acumatica

• 6 November 2023
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 1

As the title states, I am new to Acumatica.

1. Where is the DACs documentation? I can’t find anything about BAccount, BAccount2, etc.
  2. In the same DAC extension, can I reference a different field in the selector query? For example, the user selects a customer and then I want to populate another field with that customer’s projects.
  3. Is it best practice to put each customization in its own “project”, i.e. I have a customization the SO screen and another for the PO screen.
  4. Should all customizations for the same screen be in the same “project”?
icon

Best answer by Django 6 November 2023, 16:59

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @robtrainer6184 

First, Welcome to Acumatica and the Community

I am not a developer but there are a few things here that I can assist you with. 

1. To find DAC information, you can go to help.acumatica.com and search for DAC: https://help.acumatica.com/(W(1))/Help?ScreenId=ShowWiki&pageid=114ae5af-8667-4933-b53d-c4c8667c85ac . In Acumatica you can find anything related to what you are looking for click in the right corner and choose DAC Schema Browser under Tools. You can then search the DAC for fields you are looking for. 
  1. I am not sure of this answer.
  2. & 4. Customizations can be combined, although you will need to be careful of what will work together and ensure code does not affect other areas if they are not related (aka stepping on each other). I’ve seen many developers do it both ways, combining projects for different screens and also making them separate. 

Good Luck also!

Userlevel 5
Badge

@robtrainer6184 - Please use help.acumatica.com for all of these questions.

Userlevel 1

@StevenRatner I have done that. There is no reference to BAccount2 or BAccountR in help.acumatica.com.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@StevenRatner I have done that. There is no reference to BAccount2 or BAccountR in help.acumatica.com.

I’m not sure why my answer didn’t post earlier, but have you looked directly at the DAC? 

Userlevel 1

I have seen BAccount2 in the schema browser but that does not document what it is relative to BAccount nor does it tell you any information about why it should be used instead of BAccount.

Basically, I don’t consider it documentation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @robtrainer6184 

Have you looked on Stack Overflow? I know there is a great deal of information there. 

IN this post, it states that BAccount2 and BAccountR are subclasses of BAccount. (This is an older post though)

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/42260481/how-acumatica-treats-five-inner-joins-of-classes-which-are-relatives

Userlevel 1

Yes, I have seen numerous references to BAccount2 and BAccountR on stackoverflow and here on this forum. But nowhere have I seen why I should use it versus BAccount.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

From what I understand it has to do with the order in which you access the underlying BAccount records, DAC inheritance and caches.

Because the BAccount table contains Customers, Vendors, Employees, etc. the first time you reference BAccount in your graph, all other calls to BAccount will make use of the same cache. So if your first reference to BAccount is to look at customers, then when your subsequent calls to BAccount will be looking at customers.

If you need to look at Vendors or Employees in the same graph, you need to reference BAccount2 or BAccountR. It points to the same table but it allows the cache to differentiate between the two (or three) types of BAccount records.

I Goggled “acumatica baccount baccount2” and the first link describes it in a more technical fashion. (However, at this moment, the blog seems to be down.)

https://asiablog.acumatica.com/2017/10/dacs-inheritance-and-caches.html

Userlevel 1

@Django I have seen some of this on that blog which is down at a most inopportune time.

I know this information is probably available if you put together bits and pieces, but I think it would be great to see this documented in the DAC Overview section of the documentation, https://help.acumatica.com/Help?ScreenId=ShowWiki&pageid=1a7d4bc2-bf8e-4b48-aa58-020c8d996d63

Userlevel 7
Badge

@Django @robtrainer6184 - blog should be back up

About Acumatica ERP system
Acumatica Cloud ERP provides the best business management solution for transforming your company to thrive in the new digital economy. Built on a future-proof platform with open architecture for rapid integrations, scalability, and ease of use, Acumatica delivers unparalleled value to small and midmarket organizations. Connected Business. Delivered.
© 2008 — 2024  Acumatica, Inc. All rights reserved